A respiratory something in my chickens. What is it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gwenmarie10, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Gwenmarie10

Gwenmarie10 New Egg

Oct 15, 2011
    I am new to the backyard chicken experience. However, I should've known better than to introduce a new chicken to my other girls without an incubation period. Live and learn. Long story short I put a hen I had just acquired from a breeder in the with my 3 other backyard hens. That evening when I went to close up the coop I noticed she was coughing and sneezing. Within about 3 to 4 days my other 3 hens had come down with it. They are between 1 and 2 years old. For a while they sort of went off their feed. It's been 4 weeks now and I have treated them with 2 different rounds of antibiotics. Two of the hens have recovered somewhat and the other 2 are still coughing and sneezing. I have a set of 11 8 week old chicks that I have separated into the front yard so they don't come in contact with the chickens. I would like to get them so that I can get everybody moved into the coop before winter hits. I just vaccinated all of the chicks for viral influenza on the off chance that might be it. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Respiratory infections can be pretty confusing. Here is a link to some info that I have found helpful. That is good that you vaccinated the chicks just in case. Did the labeling for the vaccine say how long it would take afterward to be fully protected against the virus?

3. Gwenmarie10

Gwenmarie10 New Egg

Oct 15, 2011
    Hi, thanks for replying, I don't see the link. The research I did on the vaccine said it could take up to a week for the vaccine to work. Although I would think it should work more quickly. I'm just not sure that that is what it is so I don't know if I treated vaccinated them for the right disease. Would you be so kind as to repost the link.

Thanks.

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
  5. Gwenmarie10

Gwenmarie10 New Egg

Oct 15, 2011
    Thanks a lot. It is a very useful article and pretty much confirmed the information I had researched. It makes mevery optimistic that the vaccine will help my baby chicks. Thanks again.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

http://shagbarkbantams.com/contents.htm
    There
    are articles here "my chicken has a cold, part I, II, and III" with incubation periods discussed.

Please note that it might be that her problem is not even one of these...just thought I would post them.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  7. Gwenmarie10

Gwenmarie10 New Egg

Oct 15, 2011
    Thanks again for all the help. I really appreciate it.

8. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    Quote:you should also check out the many uses of Oxine in this same link, been reading alot about it, sounds like great stuff!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by