A REW DEAL

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lilrose922, Feb 9, 2015.

1. lilrose922

lilrose922 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013
    Have a question hope to get some help having a peaking problem with my hens some worse them others but all have it rew stops on there BUMS or Back what is out there to stop this my chickens BUMS are cold

2. cnicho05

cnicho05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2014
    Owosso, MI
    Hello,

When looking at this problem as a whole you might be having an issue with insects or a small parasite. If it was limited to only one bird getting pecked than I would believe the cause is limited to him/her. However, since this is going on with your entire flock I would suggest the following...

Since you will need to gather some additional information do the following...

1.) Inspect your birds very closely. Make sure no visible parasites or insects are near the pecked areas.

2.) Check the area around the location where the pecking takes place (e.g., backyard, coop, chicken run, etc.).

3.) Isolate any chicken who seems to be the aggressor. He or she might be starting the problem...and the others live by example.

If you don't find any parasites or bug issues than I would work on isolation. If you do find something or the problem does not resolve itself than repost your question hear for more assistance...

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    First, check for parasites.
    Second, look at overall management. Pecking is often due to overcrowding. How many birds do you have, and how much space?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by