A Roo or A mama hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by OzChookingham, Mar 16, 2012.

1. OzChookingham

OzChookingham New Egg

Mar 16, 2012
    Perth, Australia
    Hello, I love this website and find it very useful and informative. I am new to the chickens[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] world. First time owning chickens. I have this light sussex that concerns me that she might be a he. We got 6 chickens in November last year when they were about 10 weeks old. As of now mid March no eggs from her while the other 2 Australorps are already laying, tiny cute eggs. Please tell me she is not a Roo. [​IMG]

PS: Thought I send you a cute pix of my two Australorps laying at the same time and [​IMG] my DH handy work on the coop. [​IMG]

2. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Very nice! The Sussex is 100% boy, though. Sorry.

3. Theeggboxtoo

Theeggboxtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Alabama
    x2

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    A very handsome boy indeed!
    You see those slender pointy feathers down by his tail? Those are called saddle feathers and are rooster-only.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  5. 100% rooster, sorry

6. chicken241

chicken241 Out Of The Brooder

Rooster sorrys

7. If only you were in AK,we would buy him, hes PRETTY

8. OzChookingham

OzChookingham New Egg

Mar 16, 2012
    Perth, Australia
    No wonder he looks giant compared to the others. Although he hasn't made that cock a doodle do sound just yet but I caught him a few time trying to do 'piggy back' on one of my australorps. As I live in a suburb I can't have a roo so I guess it is time to give him away. :(
    Thank you all for your response.

9. audrey02026

audrey02026 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    Sorry you can't keep him, he is handsome . I had to get rid of my salmon faverolle rooster for the same reason.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by