A Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ColbertCoop, Apr 12, 2012.

1. ColbertCoop

ColbertCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    Spokane, Washington
    Pretty sure the Barred Rock on the left is a rooster...look at the size of that comb (compared to the one on the right)!! But this is my first go at chickens, so I could be guessing wrong. What do you think? And if so, any suggestions on how to possibly keep him. My biggest concern is the safety of my toddler, but it sure would be nice to have protection for the girls while they free range.
    Thanks in advance for your advice!![​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    its a cockerel...i have a 1 year old that goes in with me and helps collect eggs (i also have a 4 and 5 year old, well ones a month away from 5 and the other is a month and half away from 4) they also help collect and round up chickens/chicks. just handle them every day and have you baby handle/pet them everyday to and if anyone starts to show aggression get rid of it

3. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Both barred Rocks are cockerels.

4. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Two very nice cockerels.

5. ColbertCoop

Feb 23, 2012
    Spokane, Washington
    Both!?!?!?! But they look different. Why are they both cockerels?

6. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Those look pretty young - both have red combs and wattles and are lighter in color, generally meaning a boy. I've got two BR pullets and they are 15 weeks old and still have yellow combs and no wattle development.

7. texas75563

texas75563 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    Linden, Texas
    They are both roos because of their light coloring. The other roo comb just hasn't developed as much yet. The pullets are daker than the roos.

8. ColbertCoop

Feb 23, 2012
    Spokane, Washington
    Yes, all my chicks are pretty young still, that's why I wasn't sure. They were four weeks on Monday this week. I was okay with maybe having one roo, but not two. It just bums me out that out of 9 hopeful hens, I may only have 7. Well, I hope all the other breeds I have are female, BUMMER!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by