a rooster coop....how big per rooster????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by spish, Aug 5, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    this year i seem to have hatched out a large number of roo's (much to my dissapointment) and have gave a lot away, but have 5 over that i wish to keep due to their singing quality. but i have a head roo (who they live with in the field, but are still only young, 5 months, so havent really challenged him yet)
    now i know a time will come when they will no doubt need to be seperated, so id like to build them all their own seperate 'coops'
    so 3 questions

will a roo be ok living alone although they can still see the others
    will being able to see girls with the head roo be too cruel for a lone roo living alone or will it not bother them much
    how much room (shelter + run space) would the lone roos need each

they are all 'singers' so i plan on entering them in the weekly contests here...so really do want to keep them!

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    they need the same amount of space that your hens need. 3sq ft each inside & 10 or so outside.

They won't be too upset if they can see the other hens & not reach them.

3. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    many thanks (wasnt sure how much a hen needed as mine are total free range in the field and we have 3 large sheds as hen houses [​IMG]

4. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I have several of my boys living together in a bachelor pad. The coop itself is sectioned off into two halves, I have some older boys on one side and some younger ones on the other. Each half has its own fenced run for them. They have elected a head roo on each side but I am hoping that I can remove the divider before winter and they all share the house as the younger ones are nearly as big as the older ones. So far they have been looking at each other all summer without any fights through the fencing. The good thing about a roo coop is that you don't have to worry about nest boxes. [​IMG]

5. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    do you have some photos please? [​IMG]

6. Chicken Chat

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    OK, don't make fun. I know I built them a girly roo coop but since this was the third coop on the property, I wanted it to look nice. It is a childs teahouse playhouse design. I added the dividing fences after this photo was taken.

[​IMG]

I don't have any pics of the inside with me but I can take some tonight when I get off work, if you like.

7. chickenbarn-gal

chickenbarn-gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Michigan
    It is so cute!!!!! I love it!!!!!!! Could you post some pics on the inside... please???

8. Chicken Chat

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Thanks, mychickenbarn, I'll post some pics of the inside when I get off work tonight.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  9. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    that is gorgeous! i want i want i want! (but in pink,black and white...) hee hee

10. Chicken Chat

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    spish - do you think your boys would mind living in a pink coop. They would never live it down if the other roos found out. ha ha [​IMG]
    what do you mean by "weekly singing contests". [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by