a rooster in my flock???

Ema

Songster
9 Years
Jun 4, 2010
N. Ontario CANADA
I need help in determining if I have a rooster in my bunch of laying hens. I hope someone can give me some clear idea what a red sex link rooster looks like???? are they different colours than the hens. I am very new to chiken keeping and I don't really remember much of my grandmothers rooster but even so its been a very very long time.

Everytime I go into the coop I got one that likes to chase me about, or my husband, then it lets out this loud crowing sound, not the cock-a-doodle type, (don't laugh I just don't know how to describe it) but it sounds like a haunted house door creaking wide open...anyhow it then mixes into the bunch and I can't tell which one it is. I am worried I might have a rooster. my Chickens are 8 weeks old now almost nine weeks. I ordered 20 but they gave me 21 for soem reason, and I guess they do that with every order, put in an extra chick just in case??!! Anyhow my freind who ordered at the same time says she has a rooster, but its white, all white, and it sticks ut liek a sore thumb inher flock of 30 red sex links. Any ideas?? or am I just dealing with one cranky chicken??

A red sex link rooster is primarily white. Possibly a production red rooster got mixed in with your chicks.

I feel your pain. Yes they are suppose to be white. But I got a rooster
in my bunch of red sex links (Golden Comets) He was the same color
as the girls but just kept getting bigger. His comb got bigger his legs
were longer and bigger around. I kept thinking well it just cant be because
the roosters are white. He began to get some pretty feathers.
He finally began to act like a rooster so I farmed him out with a neighbor.
I guess the joke is on us but I was not laughing I bought pullets not straight
run.
sad.png

Quote:
So it is possible. I have not heard any crows but Half of my eggs have had a bullseye. I have been crowing trying to see if one crows back but I didnt think it was possible for a Golden comet hen to not be white.

I am trying to find pics of golden comets, can't find any...maybe not looking in right place!!! I really hope I don't have a rooster I just wanted laying hens no boys allowed in my coop darn it!!!! ahahaha, I will have to give him to my freind if indeed I got a roo :-(

Back
Top Bottom