A Rooster! Now What?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pdxblossom, Jul 18, 2010.

1. pdxblossom

pdxblossom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    It's official. My black australorp is a roo - forbidden in this city. He's 4 - 5 weeks old and I love him, he's so sweet.

Before I got the chickens I thought "No big deal if I get a roo, we'll eat him because that's what people do." It was really important to me to take ownership of my role in the food chain. The deal I made with msyelf was that if I couldn't eat one of my birds, then I would stop eating meat all together.

Well, I can't even deal with the idea of killing him when he gets older. Part of me wants to keep him and see if I can get away with it. Maybe the neighbors won't turn me in - they are chicken people after all. But that doesn't feel right either. Then there is the option of finding a new home for him. But craigslist has a million listings for free or $10 roosters and there doesn't seem to be enough takers.

I don't want to give him way right now - I still want to watch him grow. But I don't want to get more attached.

Anywone face the same dilemma? What did you do? Any BYC fans in the Portland area who want a BA roo?

2. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I'm in PDX too, and I'm holding out until the fat lady (roo?) sings. Mine is at 14 weeks and the jury is still out.

If it does turn into a roo, the place I got the chicks will find it a "good" home. Either that or give it hormone therapy and deal with a tranny chicken, LOL.

3. pdxblossom

pdxblossom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Yeah, it is Portland. I was thinking about telling people who had rooster issues to leave my transgender child alone!

4. Peppermint

Peppermint Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, it all sounded lovely to take a responsible role in the food chain, after all--I pay A LOT of money for organic free range chicken. But now that I'm faced with 2 roos out of 6 birds...if they would magically escape the fence and come back as cooked chicken...but seriously, neither me or my husband can "do the deed".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by