A rooster picked me up at the store

Rachael0805

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 21, 2014
California
Hello all! I was at the store today and had a young rooster following me around the parking lot. I have never seen him there before so I went back later in the day and sure enough he was still there. naturally being the animal person that I am I had to bring him home. I have had many different animals but never a rooster I am at a total loss with what to do for him. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to BYC. Seems that rooster dumpings at Walmart and other store parking lots is a new trend. Before they just were dumped at some unsuspecting farmer's home., along with unwanted kittens, bunnies, puppies etc.

He will need to eat chicken feed, have fresh water available through out the day, be protected from predators (dogs,cats,coyotes, foxes, hawks et al.) and have a coop or facsimile to sleep in at night. Feed stores should have everything you need for your new friend.

Ok, thank you! Can I have just a rooster? I bought him food and a temporary home but I need to decide what I'm doing with him first as far as getting friends for him.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. We had someone dump the White Silkie in the picture below on our property a few nights ago. He was really a cute little fellow, but we have already re-homed him. If you decide to keep the rooster you need to get some hens to go with him; not another rooster. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens as too many roosters will fight with each other, over-breed the hens, bite and pluck the feathers from their necks and backs, batter the hens, and potentially, seriously injure the hens and each other. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck deciding what to do with your rooster.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Good job rescuing the rooster! He's a handsome fellow. Yes, you can just have a rooster. However, he would probably be happier if he had some hens to hang out with. To avoid overmating, I would make sure you got him at least 6 hens.

Good luck with him!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

Yes, I would get some friends for your rooster. Chickens are flock creatures that don't like being alone. You should get him about eight more hens, ideally.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Wow, good find! He sure is pretty. How nice that you could bring him home.

Stop by our learning center for all kinds of tips on what chickens need and how to raise them....https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

And then yes, it might not hurt to get him a harem of hens to keep him company. Although he might make a nice house pet and can bond with you only. Here is our thread on house chickens....https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/299187/people-with-house-chickens

Enjoy this pretty boy and welcome to our flock!

Thank you all for your help. I'm really getting to know the little guy today. He's incredibly sweet. He likes to follow me and sit on the couch with me. Is this bizarre for a rooster? I'm going to post in the breed identification thread too, i think he's a Bantam but not sure because I've only been comparing pictures on Google.

Back
Top Bottom