A rooster roosting inside my house?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Dread Pirate Roberts, May 2, 2009.

1. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    I'm wondering how well it might work out to have my "little big man" come inside the house at night to roost.

I might build a makeshift set-up today, sort of like one of those big parrot playpens, and give it a try tonight. I wonder if he would refuse settle down and stay put though, if I'm up late with lights and TV on. Maybe I'd need to get a hugh jass parrot cage with a dark cover?

Am I just being a fool and senselessly delaying the inevitable rehoming?

2. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    I don't see how it would hurt to give it a try. Put him in a dark room or closet away from the TV and lights and he should do fine. Be sure to put a pan to catch droppings under whatever he's roosting on - they poop a lot at night! I think there is someone else on here who's rooster comes inside at night...

3. Dread Pirate Roberts

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    Thanks. I'ma give it a try tonight.

I know I'm crazy, but he's the first peep I ever hatched and he's being persecuted by a wackadoodle drama queen.

4. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    I think as long as he has room to move about and turn around and you cover it so its dark he'd probably be fine.

5. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    It might take him a few days to get the hang of it, so don't give up after one night.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    I'm if-ing around about trying it. I want a Porcelain D'uccle roo and I don't trust my neighbors. Post or pm me and let me know how it works out.

8. Dread Pirate Roberts

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    Well, here he is...chillaxing in the bathroom for tonight...

[​IMG]

The perch is a scrap I saved from trimming one of the mulberry trees. I torched it today, just in case it was harboring any gross bugs...

[​IMG]

Then I scrubbed it in the pool to remove the charred bits and built homeboy a little roost over a 50-gallon Rubbermaid water trough with pine shavings for litter.

We'll see how it goes. Maybe I should bring his sister, Princess Penelope, in at night as well to keep him company.

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Looks like the Taj Majal to me!

A neighbor to the south of us would bring her roo in every evening and put him in a cardboard box that he could stand in... with holes punched for air of course. That way he would only crow outside when most folks had already gone to work.

I have an almost 8 month old roo who has yet to crow or do the dance. Son of Mahonri has named him "Spaz".

10. Dread Pirate Roberts

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    Mixed results...he started crowing in the bathroom at 6:30 this morning. That's better than outside at 4:30, until somebody is in the guest house next door, then it would be even louder for them.

I hung a blanket over the window...no luck.

Stood there in the dark for a few minutes waiting for him to crow so I could turn on the light and slap my hands together in front of his face...it stopped him mid-crow, but didn't stop the crowing in general.

Put him in a low box and threw a blanket over it...he still crowed a few times, but finally shut his face.

I don't really want to have to keep him in a tiny box all night just to keep him quiet. Maybe it's not really all that bad, though. It's just while he's sleeping. But, I'd really rather he be able to hang out on his awesome perch and keep his mouf shut.

At this point, if I had the supplies, I'd be inclined to wrap a hotwire around his perch and plug it into a switched outlet so I could just flip the switch whenever he crows. Seems like that'd learn him. But alas, I no longer have such items.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by