A Rooster Tale

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sweetshoplady, Feb 9, 2008.

1. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    Has anyone else had a rooster come down the road and move in with their hens?

In early September, on a Sunday afternoon, my mother and grandmom and nephew came out to visit me. My mother had told me (via cell phone) to run out to the street and see this chicken who was coming down the road.

This barred rock (I think) rooster came in through the gate and my 99 year old grandmom chased him to try to get him to leave. He got past her and covered one of my hens. The lead hen then challenged him. As it was getting to be dusk, my hens went on to bed and the rooster didn't know where they went. (my hens sleep on the garage door) So he decided to get in a tree. The next night he slept in with them. He wasn't a neighbors roo - we figured someone dumped him to fend for himself.

He was very good, even with my nephew who is 3. Watched over his 4 ladies, who adored him like my grandmom had said they would.

Sadly, this very sweet handsome roo was eaten by the 8' alligator that lives in the lake back of my house, a day or 2 before Thanksgiving. I regret that I didn't get a picture of him. I am glad that I got to have him for a little bit. I had been scared to get a rooster, having only heard that they can be mean. Now I know better. He was a joy to have, even if he did wake me up at 3 am.

My grandmom just turned 100 - Jan 29 and has been enjoying my little chicks as well as Millie who I took to Christmas dinner.

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

What a neat story- thanks for sharing!

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Roos can be utterly wonderful - I have had such luck. Gentle, sweet, treating hens like princesses. Showing up out of nowhere, like yours.
    I am so sorry your poor fellow had to go at the hands (jaws) of an alligator though. A sad ending for such a sweet boy who may have finally found someplace to call home. Would have somehow made a bit more sense if it one one of the really mean roos. This is just tragic, except in the alligator's thinking. Glad I don't live in alligator territory, though I sure wouldn't mind Florida winters.
    JJ

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Awww, sorry about your rooster. Years ago, I had this rooster show up out of no where. He slept in a tree. Then it got cold, and he slept with the horses. I didn't have other chickens. He became our pet. One day he jumped the fence to get in with the dogs, and from then on the three of them hung out together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by