A rooster that doesn't Crow?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Habib Ikram, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Habib Ikram

Habib Ikram Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2016
    Is there a chicken species, in which the rooster Crow? Because I want to have a rooster in my flock so that he can fertilize some eggs, I cant though because my neighbors would complain of him crowing.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I have never known of a rooster that does not crow. If you could develop such a bird, you would become wealthy.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Sorry.....All Roosters crow....Some breeds and Roosters are not as vocal...It depends on the Rooster though....My Brahma/Ameruacana Crows only in the early morning and nothing during the day....My last Rooster Crowed all day long....

It is a roll of the dice on how much they will Crow....

Cheers!

4. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    X2. I have one, my best, that crows mildly just as the sun is coming up, and another that crows all gosh-darned day and well into the night. I didn't want #2 but took him in from a fellow that couldn't keep him but said he was his favorite. Even though the neighbors are far enough away and don't care he drives me nuts. Since I'm not going to use him for breeding he'll probably end up in the pot soon enough.

5. Ridwan

Ridwan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2015

I have 6 roosters in total. 1 father the rest are his sons. The sons are now 10 months and non of them crow only the father does. Could this be why the don't crow. I have now separated the father to experiment if any of them crow and take leadership. By the way I have 7 hens too!

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    They don't crow so dad won't beat the snot out of them.

I hope you will be getting a lot more if you plan to keep all those males. Or keep the younger ones in their own bachelor pad. Seven hens often isn't enough for one male, let alone 6.

7. Ridwan

Mar 8, 2015

Selling them all. Just wanted to kno why they don't crow. These are aseel breeds so they sell very quick.

8. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Dad's done a good job keeping them in line!

9. Ridwan

Mar 8, 2015

The father is superb. They use to fight alot and he would break it up. Now they dnt fight at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by