A rooster that wont quit

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Spud Chicken, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Spud Chicken

Spud Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Idaho
    so our rooster has finally figured out how to crow, and not sound like a teenage boy... the problem is however that now he wont stop! at first it was a few times a day and now, he is crowing several times an hour! any thoughts on why or how to make it stop. we would hate to send him to "freezer camp" but we have to think of our neighbors. Any help would be great:/

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Roosters can hear very well.

It might be that there is another roo in the neighborhood and they are hearing each other, so calling back and forth.

Some take a bit to get use to their voice before calming down. He is trying to make sure everyone knows he is there. [​IMG]

I know I am no help.........besides freezer camp I do not know how to make them stop.

3. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    He may just calm down on our own. Across the road there was a rooster that crowed a bajillion times. Now he just does it three time a day.

4. chickmchickie

chickmchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    oh no lol when i was a wee girl we lived in Scotland at the time at our family's castle and we had chickens, and i had a roo named danny.. not sure what kind he was but he had the metallic green tail and the rust neck, any ways he started to crow about every 15 mins all day long.. the next morning i work up to a gun shot and my danny was dead.. They ate him and i was so sad. It was so mean.. now of course i do understand it but as a 7 year old it was a bad day.. so i hope it just something hes going through for the day and wont last long.. but ya got to do what ya got to do lol. good luck

5. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    young roos tend to do that as he'll get older he won't stop all together but he'll slow down alot

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He may become more quiet as he matures--or not. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by