A rooster With NO crow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FarmerBoy24, Oct 4, 2011.

1. FarmerBoy24

FarmerBoy24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    I was talking to one of my friends about her rooster. She really loves him but can't keep roosters in her area because of the crowing. She was talking about there is some surgery you could get on the roo to get his crow out. I would think it would be a chance of him dying. Have any of you heard about this?

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:It's probably like debarking a dog, which being in the veterinary profession, I personally consider cruel and inhumane. And they can still make noise, it's just a different noise than before. [​IMG]

3. FarmerBoy24

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    I would imagine it being like a Screech!!! If it gets done, just quieter. But have you ever known anyone Successfully doing this procedure?

4. Nikki82

Nikki82 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2011
    Quote:It's probably like debarking a dog, which being in the veterinary profession, I personally consider cruel and inhumane. And they can still make noise, it's just a different noise than before. [​IMG]

That's what I was thinking. On top of potentially being considered cruel, many dogs who have the surgery done have problems with eating and breathing afterwards. I don't see why those same problems wouldn't be present in birds who had the procedure as well.

5. FarmerBoy24

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    True. I would recommend her to go ahead and do it but 1 It is cruel, and 2 It may be a weird song even if it's quiet it may upset the neighbors even more.

6. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    i would never do that. its so cruel. but old english game roosters crows are very soft...

7. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Regardless of whether or not someone wants to de-crow a rooster or not, it's going to require the surgical prowess of a veterinarian to actually pull it off. Your best bet is going to be talking to a vet who is experienced with poultry; see what they tell you. I'd be doubtful that many would be willing to do this - just not worth the risk of causing permanent eating/drinking/breathing problems for the bird, or the stress it would place on the bird to perform.

If she can't have roosters where she is at, then she shouldn't get roosters, or should move to a location where she can have them. I can't see the logic behind cutting up a bird in an attempt to prevent it from doing what its meant to do for the sake of conforming to a local ordinance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by