A rooster's crow

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dalever12, Jan 30, 2013.

1. dalever12

dalever12 New Egg

Nov 15, 2012
    Yorktown, VA
    Hello all,
    My Rooster, Kiki, has been putting out some strange crows. Nothing like his normal song.. Sometimes it sounds likes he's got a cold or something. Sometimes barely getting through the first "verse" of his crow. I dont know his age but he's at least 2-3 years old.

Is this something that is normal or something I should be more concerned about?

Thanks!

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

How long have you been noticing the change in his crow? He could possibly be coming down with a respiratory bug. My rooster sounded very hoarse when he was coming down with infectious bronchitis. Turned into a wet cough along with wheezing and rattling sounds with his breathing.

So keep an eye, and an ear, on your bird to see if you start hearing those kinds of noises. If so you'll probably need to give him some antibiotic's. It's best to keep them warm too, especially at night, until they are better. The reason for the meds is that, even though most of the respiratory diseases are viral, they so easily move right into pneumonia and secondary bacterial infections.

3. dalever12

dalever12 New Egg

Nov 15, 2012
    Yorktown, VA
    Thank you for the info. He was sounding better today but i'll be sure to keep an ear out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by