A rousing game of: "What Breed Am I?" Anyone care to wage a guess?

One does have the straight comb, though it is very short and compact. The other does have a pea comb. I got them from a lady that hatched them out herself, so they themselves did not come from a hatchery, however, I can't say she didn't get their eggs, or their parents, etc. from a hatchery. When I spoke to her, I believe she said that she doesn't buy from hatcheries often, however she had literally DOZENS of breeds on her farm, and she had hundreds of crossbreeds that she had bred herself. She also breeds pure breeds and produces many show quality birds. I traded her some of my Bantam Cochin chicks for some of her chicks, and I ended up getting a Turken roo, a Silver Cuckoo Maran roo (that comes from breeder stock, not hatchery stock, that much I know, lol), the two Araucana sisters, a black chick that could have been either a Jersey Giant or a Black Australorp (I'm soooo glad she turned out to be an Australorp!), and a GLW that turned out to suffer many disabilities, including stunted growth, blindness, and something internal that we couldn't see because she died suddenly at about 6 months of age. She was precious and well loved until that time. The Turken died when we had a horrible cold snap here and nearly 60 mile an hour winds. It literally shifted our coop off it's base, and then the temp dropped. It was sad cause we really loved him. Out of the 6 birds we got from her, two were roos, the rest were hens, so I don't think we did so bad. I still have 4 of the birds. So is the consensus that these girls are part Welsummer and part EE? They are not muffed, and they don't make those special cooing noises that EE's seem to make. And they are not small either, they are good sized girls, about the size of my SLW's. And they are trouble makers too. They snuck into my neighbor's garden last Fall and ate her squash. They had help of course, but they are sneaky girls, lol. I have another girl that I would like help identifying. I'll post her in a separate thread though. Any other opinions, please, I welcome them. I kinda suspected they weren't pure breeds, but that's ok, my daughter picked them out and loves them deeply.
smile.png

I would think not, if EE's are known as the rainbow layers and can lay eggs of just about any color except white, then I would think the gene wouldn't be dominant. But I'm no expert. All I know is that one, or both of my girls is laying pink eggs.

Here is a close up of the other girl's face and comb. Here sister is the one with the straight comb. This one has a shorter, more compact, and strange sort of comb. When I got both of them, they hadn't yet gotten in their combs. They were rather slow to grow in their combs and wattles. Here she is:

29191_chick_pics_feb_2010_021.jpg

My daughter was feeding the birds her blueberry muffin and shirtly after I snapped this picture, she tried to take a bite out of my hand cause she thought I had some muffin, lol. She could have applied pressure and hurt me, but she didn't. I think she knows better. I tossed her a muffin for standing there long enough to let me snap some pictures, though they weren't the best pics. Might have to bring them up to the kitchen and try in better lighting! Nothing like taking pictures at night!

And the cross with Welsummer would explain the lack of muffs and the fact that they don't sound like an EE at all, right? It's funny, cause I have another girl that is a suspected Welsummer cross (no relation to these two), and she ended up small, like an EE would be, yet she has no EE in her, and these two girls got genes that made them big, at least 6 lbs each if not more, yet they most likely HAVE the EE in them. They are as big as my SLW girls and lay eggs just slightly smaller. Funny how genes work.

I can tell you that the first one is not a 'pure' (yes, read before you flame, please LOL) EE, as in EExEE but is quite possibly EExsomething else. Since penciling is a common coloration in EE's, I wouldn't assume the other side of that cross is a welsummer. I had a wellie and two EE's ("pure") last summer and could only tell the Welsummer apart by her bright legs and comb. I would guess that first one is a RIR or NHR x EE and could very well be laying a pink egg. I'd need a full body shot of the second to try to guess, and yep, I know that chickens are almost impossible to get good pictures of LOL.

And randomly; my Welsummer was the smallest girl in my flock which surprised me, too. There must be a few very small strains around.

Good luck figuring them out
smile.png

To anyone who wants to flame/educate me on EE's: I don't want to get into a 'and EE is a mutt' conversation and I won't. I know they're not a 'breed' but most hatchery stock EE's do have very common traits and that's what I'm going off of here. I had 8 of them last year from 3 different sources, so while I"m not an expert, I'm not going off something I've just read, either.

EE is basically mutt with some variation of Araucana or Ameraucana in its bloodline. These mixed breed birds can come out with just about any features and will have tinted eggs, most of the time some shade of green or blue. That is about the gist of it. They can have any comb, any color, any color of legs. It is like saying a Heintz 57 dog has to have some certain hair color, they don't. If you were told they are Ameraucana, then I would believe that the person you got them from either doesn't know the difference between Ameraucana and EE or they are just going along with saying that because that is how the hatcheries sell their EEs.

Back
Top Bottom