1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

a runaway - Update and Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Equest94, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Equest94

Equest94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    New York
    So yesterday, my mom made me trade in one of my beloved roosters for 2 laying hens. As heartbroken as I was to part with him, I figured it would be best since we have another roo at home and our other hen needs some girly-company.

Well, the chickens we have, had been raised by us since they were each a week old; they are use to being handled, are very comfortable around people, and even come when their names are called; however, these two new hens are more skittish and very wary. I know they need time settling in, so I try not to overwhelm them by forcing them to be instant cuddle-bugs.

HERE'S THE PROBLEM....

My mom decided to let the chicken out of their coop/run out into our backyard for while (like we normally do). I told her not to let the new ones out because they are not yet familiar with our yard and us, let alone with the other chickens....no, she let them out anyways and right away there was a parting between our chickens and the new hens.... I managed to grab one and put her back in the run, but as I was getting the other one....someone let my dog out, and sure enough (being a puppy) she chased the hen into the thicket/brush that divides my neighbor's yard and part of ours. I don't know where "Penny" went. I saw where she disappeared into, but other than that, she's gone. I tried looking for her but gave up because I don't want to scare her anymore. What makes this worse....is that my other hen prefers her sister as a buddy, so this one is also the "social" outcast for the time being (low on the pecking order).

I know chickens are flock animals and prefer to stay near each other - will Penny [most likely] come back once she's calm down (I still have her sister)? I'm worried that she being new hasn't thought of the coop as home yet...

Any help and advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance - wish me tons of luck. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  2. Kesta

Kesta Pie Crust Malfunction

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    you might wanna go out around the neighbor hood looking for her maybe ask your neighbors to keep an eye out. if she knows where the food is shell come home chickens are usually keen on that. i know because my own get out quite a lot there selves. dont know why but they love to explore:confused:

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Sorry to hear she ran off. Hopefully with her sister still there she will stay around and you can catch her.
    [​IMG]

New birds should always be quarentined for at least 30 days.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I'd put the sister in a cage and use her as "bait" to lure the other hen back. You might have to get the whole family together to herd her to the coop but I bet you can do it.

Good luck!

5. Equest94

Equest94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    New York
    Well, she finally came back! It only took her about 5 hours, but she's back, safe in the coop with the other girls.

Thank you all!

I'm still having an issue with my first hen (original post: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=72221 )

Turns out she was trying to set and was going broody; however, she stopped, but still hasn't laid an egg since her 2 mishaps. She's a 1yro Ameracuana X Silkie(?) and first started laying in April. We got 6 eggs/week from her until all of that happened. It was mentioned that the heat could cause this, but our new girls have been laying and continue to lay in this weather (unless they are going to randomly stop too?). The new ones are also about a year old. I'm still feeding layer feed and live crushed egg shells and oyster shell out for them.... the new girls have been pecking at those but my other hen isn't interested in them.... any suggestions? Is she sterile at the age of 1?

6. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:If she was broody it could take her a while to start laying again. Plus, with the upset of new hens and then the heat it could very well be a combination of things. She won't have any interst in the egg or oyster shells unless she needs the calcium for the egg shells. If she is looking good and eating good I would say you just need to wait and see what happens.

I'm glad your runaway came back!

7. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:If she was broody it could take her a while to start laying again. Plus, with the upset of new hens and then the heat it could very well be a combination of things. She won't have any interst in the egg or oyster shells unless she needs the calcium for the egg shells. If she is looking good and eating good I would say you just need to wait and see what happens.

I'm glad your runaway came back!

I'm also going to post this in your other thread to see if you can get more responses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by