a sad 4th of july

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nicokl502, Jul 5, 2011.

1. nicokl502

nicokl502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Kansas City Mo
    had the people next door over and we were all having a great time, then all of the sudden there dog was in our chicken run and killed two of my chickens that i loved , i know he was just being a dog but man it that suck

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Awe Im so sorry [​IMG] Thats no good. Stupid dog.

3. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    That sucks [​IMG]

4. ajay

ajay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    I am so sorry. [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    what was their reaction??

Why do people have to bring their dogs with them? I am a dog lover and used to raise them. But I don't care for people bringing their dogs with and letting them poo or lift their leg in my house etc. Killing chickens is definitely on the NO list.

6. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] I am so sorry. The dog should have been left at home. I would be furious if I were you. [​IMG]

7. ChezPoulez

ChezPoulez Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Mill Valley, California
    Quote:When I lived in the country I noticed that our old city friends thought they would give their dogs a vacation too when they came to visit us. There is nothing more infuriating than an ill mannered city dog running amok in the country because it just doesn't know any better. I gave them their option, either leave their dog at home, or I will gladly house their dog in the dog run where I keep my dogs, but under NO CIRCUMSTANCES is their dog going to be free on my property for the very reason as posted above.

@nicokl502 I'm so sorry, I'm sure you were devastated, not to mention it must have traumatized the rest of your flock too. Don't be surprised if you don't see eggs for a few days. The dog owners at the very least owe you replacement costs of your chickens. If they don't offer it, and since they are neighbors, I would be inclined to let it go rather than start a problem, but they wouldn't be on any future guest lists either.

Here's something to consider... since they are neighbors... those dogs have now killed and tasted blood. That's a very very dangerous thing for the future of the rest of your flock. More often than not, once a dog has killed it will kill again. We had a young dog that killed several of our birds, but we were working with the dog and doing lots of intensive training to break the drive to chase. Then he got one of the neighbor's geese. That was the last straw. After we sent the dog to heaven we paid the neighbor for the bird. We felt bad for the dog, but had trained that dog the same as all our others... it was just something in the dog's personality that it loved the chase. I also had lambs and couldn't risk the dog going for them next so he became history.

Dogs are harder to deal with than raccoons, coyotes, and even bobcats, because all of them only kill to eat. Dogs (and ferrets) kill for fun.

8. ComfortablyCrazy

ComfortablyCrazy New Egg

Jun 21, 2011
    I am new to the whole chicken thing and was really enjoying it until earlier this week.

My Landlord accidentally let two of my dogs out of the house while I was gone and with nothing to do for 5 1/2 hours they chased and killed 9 of 14 chicks that I got on May 14th. Luckily my two layers escaped harm.

Tonight one dug out of the yard to get to them while we were out.

We free range all of the birds during the day. I now have one layer and two chicks in my coop. I'm hoping the other two chicks I couldn't find are nesting in one of the very dense lilac bushes.

Is there any way to keep my dog from getting the birds?

The dogs quite frequently walk with us and were never very interested in the chickens.

I'm at a loss on what to do.

9. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    Quote:When I lived in the country I noticed that our old city friends thought they would give their dogs a vacation too when they came to visit us. There is nothing more infuriating than an ill mannered city dog running amok in the country because it just doesn't know any better. I gave them their option, either leave their dog at home, or I will gladly house their dog in the dog run where I keep my dogs, but under NO CIRCUMSTANCES is their dog going to be free on my property for the very reason as posted above.

@nicokl502 I'm so sorry, I'm sure you were devastated, not to mention it must have traumatized the rest of your flock too. Don't be surprised if you don't see eggs for a few days. The dog owners at the very least owe you replacement costs of your chickens. If they don't offer it, and since they are neighbors, I would be inclined to let it go rather than start a problem, but they wouldn't be on any future guest lists either.

Here's something to consider... since they are neighbors... those dogs have now killed and tasted blood. That's a very very dangerous thing for the future of the rest of your flock. More often than not, once a dog has killed it will kill again. We had a young dog that killed several of our birds, but we were working with the dog and doing lots of intensive training to break the drive to chase. Then he got one of the neighbor's geese. That was the last straw. After we sent the dog to heaven we paid the neighbor for the bird. We felt bad for the dog, but had trained that dog the same as all our others... it was just something in the dog's personality that it loved the chase. I also had lambs and couldn't risk the dog going for them next so he became history.

Dogs are harder to deal with than raccoons, coyotes, and even bobcats, because all of them only kill to eat. Dogs (and ferrets) kill for fun.

[​IMG] good advice

10. nicokl502

nicokl502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Kansas City Mo
    i was very upset but couldn't show it or anything like that i didn't want to be rude because they felt bad and there son was very upset, they did say sorry but i don't think they knew what to say or do.one thing they should have done was take the dog home, maybe yell at it. let it know it did something bad , i have a dog that use to get in before we put a electric fence up but he never killed or even hurt one of my chickens just chance them and comfortable crazy if you are worried about your dogs put up electric dog fence it works great. the whole time i just had acted like it is no big deal but it had to be the last of my 1st group of chickens, the only ones laying now i have to wait for my new one to lay here in a few months [​IMG], i am so mad at that dumb very fat dog,he so big it's hard for him to walk , i mean they never let him out he always inside but when he got to my chickens you thought he was some young fit dog , i didn't even hear a thing from my chickens he got to them so fast, he killed to in min... if i didn't see chickens running around all my chickens would be dead [​IMG], chezPoulez i have also heard that once dogs kills a chicken they will want to do it again thats why if any of our dogs have done that they would have been gone we are very lucky that none of our dogs are killers. one of my only layer now got real freak out because my dog got in to the run a few time and hasn't lay a egg in months now just when she thinks its ok two of her sister get killed she may never lay a egg again [​IMG] dumb dog thats all i can say dumb dog!!! i will never be nice to that dog again never and he can never come over

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by