A sad day at the barn x2

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickbea, Nov 14, 2008.

1. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    [​IMG] [​IMG] To make a long saga short, two of the horses I have taken care of for the last 7 years were put down this morning.
    We knew it would be coming eventually, as both are old and have been losing ground, but we thought we could get them through one more winter. Sadly, it was not to be, and the owner thought it best that they go together since these two horses are so attached to each other.
    I guess there's some solace in letting them go while they still had their dignity; I've certainly seen other old horses left to linger far too long and that is too heartbreaking. I tried to keep things normal for them - just another day...the only difference they must have noticed was that I kept filling their grain buckets and handing out carrots and apples and treats - we had quite the smorgasbord...
    Nothing left to do now but look at empty stalls and cry and cry. Why do we do this to ourselves?

2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Because the joy far outweighs the pain...

:aww

3. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Sounds like you are truly an animal lover like most of us on this site . It is always so hard to say good bye to the animals that we have come to love so very much, even though we know that it was more humane to put them down. :(Give yourself some time and try to keep your mind on the good memories that cannot be taken away from you even in their absence. I find that when i take the time to journal about things that are upsetting to me i am comforted by being able to express my feelings. Good cheap therapy ![​IMG]

4. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Sending hugs your way & crying right along with you. Been down that road & still keep walking it--helmstead, you said it all.

5. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    [​IMG] i am sure they were very happy with their last supper. i am so happy that they were treated well and both went together. but it still makes me [​IMG]

6. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Truely the right thing...If you love your horse and strive to give them the better life then giving them the dignity of putting them to sleep is nice ..thats what I would personally want for myself...I dont want drugs given to keep me alive ..and to have the two buddies go together....thats nice ....I have heard so many situations were people wished they had put the two old friends down together because the one left behind was always miserable / and getting picked on more by the herd and also left out of the circle of attention....my thoughts are with you.... a good friend just went through this and she had some earring made from the horses mane...also the barn gave her a picture in a frame of her horse...

7. Samarai Jenn

Samarai Jenn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    I know how that feels. [​IMG] Last year we had to put down one of our older horses, she was 21, and got her when Jacob was born...Very sad, but they're in a better place now [​IMG]

8. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I'm sorry. :aww I had to put two down at the same time a couple of years ago... it sucked. I had my gelding since I was about four or five years old. He was my highschool rodeo buddy. We do it to ourselves because the joy outweighs the pain. I eased the pain by getting another one! [​IMG]

9. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Pets are wonderful until something like this has to happen. Best wishes. It's always hard to put an animal down.

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    <great big hug>

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by