A Sad Day for Our Flock

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by hefalumpmom, Nov 27, 2012.

1. hefalumpmom

hefalumpmom Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2012
    Missouri
    Today the neighbors' dog killed two of my chickens--one Easter egger and one Plymouth Rock. I had my dogs inside because it is garbage day and didn't want them bothering the trash pick up guys. We live in an area where the dogs run free, and my chickens run free in the yard. I guess since my dogs weren't out there to play with, the dog played with the chickens. Unfortunately, they don't make good playmates.

I let the neighbors know. They were very upset and offered to pay for the chickens. Told them that was not necessary. All I asked was that when they were going to let the dogs free to give me a call. They don't bother them when we are out there. I know where we live we are going to lose them to predators--foxes, coyotes, owls, hawks, etc. It just hurts my feelings when it is dogs. I am also distressed that I can't find the bodies. I don't want my dogs finding them and undoing all of the hard work I put in to stopping them from killing them.

R. I. P., my two chicklets. I will miss you both[​IMG]

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    You are very forgiving to not even ask the neighbors to keep their dogs out of your yard.If it has killed once they will be back.Killing chickens is very fun for dogs.Well,more the chase than the kill.Sorry for your loss. You should reconsider letting them roam.

3. hefalumpmom

hefalumpmom Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2012
    Missouri
    Thank you for your condolences. A part of me would like to have them in a pen rivaling Fort Knox. I got them to assist in natural bug control, though, so roaming is part of their job. Hopefully our arrangement with the neighbors will work well enough to protect them from dogs. I feel both saddened and betrayed when it happens at the jaws of dogs. So many other predators about including coyotes, and possibly a bobcat. Unfortunately, chicken is on everyone's menu.

4. Chooker21

Chooker21 New Egg

Nov 29, 2012
    My condolences on your loss. I had a near miss yesterday. A little yorkie slipped through the gate rails and attacked my free roaming chickens. One girl (easter egger) was down and I thought dead and the others had scattered in three directions over fences. Handed back the litle pup (with feathers in mouth) to the owner, she'd pulled the leash free. Looked around and Edna (the easter egger) was now sitting up. I carried her to the coop and by the time I'd rounded up all the other girls she was up and about none the worse for wear. Wondering if she had fainted in fright, anyone seen their chickens faint? Needless to say I'm adding netting to the gate rails to keep the girls in and little dogs out. I too expect that one day a fox or hawk might take it's toll, but fealt very bad about it being a dog too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by