A sad day.

frprsn

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 5, 2012
Having an existing chicken from a neighboring farmers coop, (she was attacked by a raccoon so her mates were picking on her) we decided to get a few more chickens to add to our coop. We picked them up on Thursday last. There are 8 in total. Well that is until today. : ( Ther was one little one that began to slow down this morning and she got weaker and weaker it seemed. Finally after reading some of your posts we took her out of the brooder and into her own box with a towel and heating pad. We also gave her some pedialite and some chick starter mixed with wter. Just a few drops. But she just kept getting sicker and sicker, she did try so hard. Eventually her breathing becamd very labored and she was very limp, I just felt that there ws nothing we could dofor her and I am very sad to say I was correct as she died just a bit ago.
I ws hoping someone could give me any idea of the problem as I am fearful for my other babies. One symptom she had was kind of a yellowy brown poop and another symptom was a kind of fluidy sound when she was trying to breath which evntually made her start "vommitting" clear thick fluid, egg white like. Then she died. We are heart broken for her and pray w did not neglect her in some way and also pray that there is not a viral thing happening here. Your opinion and guidance greatly appreciated. Sandra and Dan

I am not a veterinarian so I could be completely off base. But here is what I found from the MSU website for poultry diseases. The symptom of yellow/brown diarrhea does not fit but the labored breathing with mucus does.

Quote:

How old are these chickens? What are you feeding? Any signs of problems before today? Listless, poofed up, huddling? How hot is it?

The chicks are 4 days old, or at least that is when I picked them up at the hatchery. They do hatchings every Thursday and that is when they called an told me I had my chicks. We are feeding with chick starter. We are using a 60 watt bulb at a distance of about 8 to 10 inches for the brooder, and unless they are sleeping they are all over the place and running about, feeding and drinking and scratching. They are also roosting on the top of the little box I put inside the brooder box. The only time they huddle is when they are sleeping and they stick near or in the little box inside the brooder box. We change the flooring, a paper towel a couple of times a day and the drinking water as well. Nobody is listless, nor was the little one that died until this morning. The others are doing fine it seems. I hope it isn't a virus, if it is there are no signs yet. Because they huddle in the box to sleep I wonder if the little one got trampled or smothered some last night?

I would get rid of the box and make sure that there is a spot in the brooder that is at least 90 degrees. If they get a chill, that alone is enough to kill them. They may not be staying warm enough in the little 'box'.

Back
Top Bottom