A Sad Morning in Montana

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by h_anne_notes, Jan 30, 2013.

1. h_anne_notes

h_anne_notes New Egg

Mar 18, 2010
    Last night we lost 5 of our 7 chickens due to them knocking out the heat source in their coop with an extreme weather snap (-20). Lots of sad faces around here today. 3 Rhode Island Reds (Larry, Curly, and Moe) and 2 Easter Egg Layers (Tiny and Hootie) didn't make it through the night. We're down to our 2 Buff Orphies (Buddy and Cuddle).

Trying to get our 9 year old son to look forward to spring now when he can get more. He's SO sad. My husband is also a wreck. This is our first year having them.

Rest in peace girls. You may never have made it to your first laying season - but you did make a little boy and his Dad very happy loving you and watching you grow up.

2. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    How sad! I am so sorry for your loss.

It's amazing how hard the big guys fall for those little fluff balls. Have them work on ideas to make the heat source safer/more durable so it doesn't happen again. We ain't done with winter yet!
    Also, remind the guys that new fluffy butts are coming soon to a store near you!

This dang arctic air really stinks! we keep going from 50's to -10, then back up to above freezing - going to be 50 this weekend. No wonder everyone here has a cold!

3. h_anne_notes

h_anne_notes New Egg

Mar 18, 2010
    Agreed. They're planning an addition with heated flooring for next summer...the Chalet is expanding. ;) In the meantime they're working on a few other solutions. Mostly I'm concerned without the additional body heat that we're going to have problems.

Oh yeah - they're already looking forward to chicks. Truthfully, so am I. They train the chickens to do tricks so chicks is a super fun time in our household. :)

4. Blackie2012

Blackie2012 New Egg

Oct 8, 2012
    We can feel your pain. Sorry you, your son, and hubby have endure such loss. It's never easy, especially for first timer to encounter this kind of situation. We lost 4 of our specialty chickens due to colds and that was very discouraging. A more seasoned friend had to come by and consoled us. So now, like you, we are also looking forward to warmer weather and new chicks. hang in there.

5. Lady Badlands

Lady Badlands Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    OMG, how horribly sad. So sorry to hear that. It's never easy to lose our sweet feathered friends. May they RIP!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by