A Scary Sight!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, May 17, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have two flocks of chickens. They free range together, although the older birds (the brahmas) get let out earlier than the younger birds (logistics). Some times they are stick together, most times they don't. They'll be in the same general area, but stick with their own flocks. They sleep in seperate coops at night. I don't count heads at night so much as I look for the individuals. It's routine. I don't keep track of my feed costs (much as DH wants me to, he's not paying for the feed so [​IMG] ) because I just don't care. When I see they are getting low, I go buy more, simple as that.

It's easy for me not to have to admit I have a problem. The brahma coop is to the northwest of the house, so when they free range they generally head further west. The other coop, what I refer to as the baby coop or the broody coop, is south of the house. When those birds free range they generally head east or further south. I don't have to see all the chickens together. No problem. There's not THAT many.

This afternoon the brahmas decided to visit just outside the baby coop. I threw some scratch out then let the younger birds out. Came back in the house and looked out the living room window.

OMG! I have alot of chickens. [​IMG]

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Quote:ya think Gritty?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sometimes DH will ask me how many I have.....

Don't, just DON'T! Don't what? Don't make me count em! [​IMG] (tears always work [​IMG])

So does, counting them by groups....

I'll say, well I have 4 dark brahmas, 5 buff brahmas, 4 light brahmas, 4 turkens.....

By the time I get down to the 2 silkies he's lost interest [​IMG]

5. harmona1

harmona1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2010
    Indiana
    It just kinda hits you all of a sudden, doesn't it?!? LOL I had my original little flock, then got chicks this spring (unplanned, but they were so darn cute!!), then someone needed to rehome some bantams. The other day someone asks me how many I have now and I mentally add them up- HOLY CRAP! I have a lot of chickens! (Especially since they're illegal in the citiy where I live! Shhh....)

6. Roslyn

Roslyn Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Cle Elum, WA
    Quote:I think chicken laws are stupid as long as you can keep the animals safe and happy and free from trouble with the neighbors or predators.

We won't tell [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  7. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Quote:I think chicken laws are stupid as long as you can keep the animals safe and happy and free from trouble with the neighbors or predators.

We won't tell [​IMG]

It's so wrong chickens are illegal. I wonder if the new ordanances were introduced post-war, just as battery farming took off? I guess we are meant to live in a world where we never see where our food comes from? [​IMG] Maybe eggs only magically appear in the supermarket. You keep going with your chickens, good on you!

8. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    I count in groups too [​IMG] 6 big girls, 1 big boy, 4 of these, 6 of those ... I don't want to know the total right now [​IMG]

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Gritty, I can certainly empathize. My flocks splits itself into two groups, those that brave the front yard and those that stay in the back yard. Some of the latter also visit my land-lady's back yard, as do a few of the former. So they're always moving and never all together at once (when I can see them en masse).

I can hardly wait until I get everybody moved up to the new property (I pick up the keys on Friday!) and settled in. The so-called "garage" is going to be their coop, and it's on the very edge of one side of the property. Therefore, they will most likely all head to the house first upon coming outside, before they scatter over the whole two-thirds of an acre.

I will probably be astounded at their numbers. (Zazouse has a wonderful photo of her flock that just calls to me to duplicate it!)

10. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Quote:And don't forget... We HAVE to have pictures of their first day there....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by