A 'scovie question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Blob Chicken, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Blob Chicken

Blob Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    How old are they before the can fly ?? Also how old do they need to be before you can sex them ??

2. emsdial911

emsdial911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Not sure about the flying probably as soon as they are fully feathered they will start. You should be able to sex them pretty early by the caruncle or the red bumps on the face. Males will usually have more pronounced caruncles that cover most of the face. Females will usually cover less area on the eyes and face and not be as bumpy.

My females
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My drake
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. coptop89

coptop89 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    S.E. Iowa
    Another way to tell even before the caruncling comes in is by looking at their size. Particularly bigger feet and thicker legs on the males. The body will also be longer on a male but I've noticed the feet are even more obvious than the length of their bodies. During that awkward "teen" stage (4 to 6 weeks) is normally when you can see this difference start. It might be tricky at first but you'll get the eye for it pretty quick. Hope that helps!!

Oh..not exactly sure about the flying though. I would agree..probably when all the adult feathers have fully developed.

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Like coptop said, you will develop an eye for it. I could tell by 14days that I had a pair with the 2 lilac babies i kept from one of the latest hatches. My girls start flying around or practicing when they have all their flight feathers in, i have some that grow in faster than others so it's really a matter of watching them. You will have to clip the flight feathers again after a molt also.

5. Blob Chicken

Nov 2, 2009
    Thanks everyone !! Also I'm not clipping wings ,I want to get these birds to fly with my while I go biking [​IMG]

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    My girls can't get off the ground. They are a year old but though they try, no lift off.
    They are not clipped but I wonder if it had something to do with only being fed scratch grain in a dirt lot.[​IMG]

Oh, please take photos of the 'scovies flying with you biking! That I got to see![​IMG]

7. Blob Chicken

Nov 2, 2009
    Quote:hehe ,shall do. It`ll take around 4 months untill pictures though. First they have to hatch ,lol. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by