A SECOND snow goose showed up! (new pics!)

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Blondiega1, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blondiega1

Blondiega1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Dallas, Ga.
    I posted some pictures in the duck forum trying to find out what kind of white duck I have visiting with my pekin boys today.
    Well the general consensus is....I have a Lesser Snow Goose!!

From what I see online, they don't normal travel through Georgia and they are usually in a flock, so it's unusual that this one lonely lady showed up on my lake today!
    I'm considering it my early Christmas present!

Here's some Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  2. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    Wow, that is nice and I agree, unusual. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

3. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Poor dear, I wonder if she is lost? Well maybe she has found a temporary home with some good looking male company. Good for her!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She's lost and seeking company. There's a Home Depot by me that has a large pond fitted with a fountain/sprinkler that keeps the water open all winter long. There are some non-migratory Canada geese that hang out there year round. Every winter some migratory birds join them. For three years a snow goose has returned with a Canada gander who is her mate. Somehow she hooked up with a Canada flock and mated with this gander. So far this year she has not returned. I look for her every time I go to town.

5. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    Maybe she has found a permanent home with you. Will they mate and make Snow Pekins???

6. Blondiega1

Nov 5, 2010
    Dallas, Ga.
    SNOW PEKINS!!!
    I LOVE IT!!
    [​IMG]

She's been hanging with the boys all day. I really hope she sticks around!
    I'll leave some extra corn and grain out this evening when I feed the boys. Mayhap I can encourage her to stay![​IMG]

7. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I was looking at the thread you have in the Ducks category. I think whoever posted that its a Ross's goose is correct. If you look up a Ross goose and then look at this goose, you'll see that they're identical. Regardless, its a beautiful goose and you're lucky to have such a gorgeous visitor!!

Congrats!

Laurie

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  8. Blondiega1

Nov 5, 2010
    Dallas, Ga.
    Quote:For all I know you could be right, but I'm really leaning toward Snow Goose.
    The more I look at pictures on the interwebs and the pics I took, you can really see the similarities.
    She has that "black smile" that is so tell tell on the Snow geese.

She's still out there tonight and came up into the yard when I fed the boys!!
    I feed them corn and poultry feed, but from what I read she's a grass eater so probably isn't interested in their food.

9. DaveK

DaveK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    I'm not betting my life on these pictures but I have been amongst Ross' and while superficially the same the whole impression is different. They are a very small somewhat dainty arctic version of the Snow goose. Smaller, petite, more compact like much from the near arctic. Ross' migrate down the west side of the country (as do the Snows) and while I could be wrong I do not think anything towards the east coast is at all usual. It is very much for the Snows. Migration routes can be looked up but not by me right now. We had the pleasure of a Snow goose for several days who was traveling with Canadas. When they left so did she/he.

10. Blondiega1

Nov 5, 2010
    Dallas, Ga.
    Quote:I looked up the Snow Geese migratory route and checked with the DNR here in Georgia.
    Snow Geese do not normally migrate through here, but they are a recent new comer to winter here.
    I'm hoping she'll stay for the winter!
    That would way cool!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by