A shivering hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jennifer0224, Nov 30, 2016.

1. jennifer0224

jennifer0224 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2015
    Placer County, CA
    Hello, my Easter Egger is going through what I believe to be a "hard" molt (this is my first molting season). When I watch her, she seems to be shivering. Should I be giving her supplemental heat? We are in California and the high is around 55, and at night it dips down to about 35. I'm attaching pictures. She is not constantly shivering, more like she gets the chills if that makes sense.[​IMG][/IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You might want to increase the protein level in her diet. Dry cat food is a good high protein supplement.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Do you mean that she fluffs herself up and shakes? That's normal. She's trying to rid herself of the feathers falling out, and trying to trap air in her remaining feathers. Totally normal. And with those temps, don't worry. She'll be just fine.

4. jennifer0224

Mar 25, 2015
    Placer County, CA
    Ah, June perhaps that is what she is doing. Maybe because *I* was shivering, her shaking caught my eye! Thank you! So there is really no reason for extra heat when the temp is no lower than 30, even with the few bare patches?

And sour, I will try that thank you. I just have 9 full grown hens so I don't want to switch them off of layer feed since she is the only one who needs the extra protein. I will try the cat food. I found a recipe for high protein "molt nuffins" online and there were way too many ingredients I don't have. do have cat kibble though!

5. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Layer feed is for actively laying birds only. The high calcium levels can be very harmful to birds that aren't laying. It would be much safer to switch to a starter or grower feed, and supply the layers with some crushed oyster shell for calcium. There is no real reason why you have to feed layer. It doesn't have any magic ingredient in it, and it just isn't safe for non layers.

6. jennifer0224

Mar 25, 2015
    Placer County, CA
    Hmm, okay, bummer. The rest of my birds are continuing to lay through the season. When I had a couple new chicks, I switched to chick feed with oyster shells out and no one ate them :( We had very thin shells for a time.

7. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Mine take more oyster shell when I scatter it on the ground instead of keeping it in a dish.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The cat food would only be used as a supplement to a grower or maintenance diet - not as a sole food.

9. jennifer0224

Mar 25, 2015
    Placer County, CA
    Junebugga, would crushed egg shells work just as well?

10. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Yes, crushed eggshells work, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by