A shocking discovery -- eggs in the nestboxes!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cmjust0, Nov 5, 2009.

1. cmjust0

cmjust0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Central KY
    Folks, you could have knocked me over with a feather. We went down to the barn last night to take care of all of the animals and I said to my wife -- and I quote -- "I'm gonna go check the nestboxes... See if anybody got over their case of the stupids."

I hoped the lid and almost passed out.. Not one, not two..not even three or four...ELEVEN!! There were eleven eggs in the nestboxes!

I'm almost positive that I'd checked it the evening before, but it may have been two evenings before. Either way, we have eight nestboxes and all but one had eggs in it. One box even had three! Someone pitched all the hay out of the one with no eggs, so I filled it back up last night. [​IMG]

It was so, so, so, so nice to get eggs from the coop that I didn't have to scrub with a brush when I got back to the house.. I'd gotten so accustomed to digging eggs out of the bedding and having to pitch some that were just...yuck...that it was truly a JOY to get these eggs..

We were stoked. [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That's encouraging to me! I've had 3-6 eggs daily from about 28 layers for quite awhile. Maybe it'll start picking up now.

3. rainbowgardens

rainbowgardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central Virginia
    I wonder what happened in their little chicken brains to make them all start laying in the nests instead of on the floor?

4. cmjust0

Apr 30, 2009
    Central KY
    No. Freaking. Idea.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

They did it just to throw you off. Sneaky little buggers they are.

6. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Awesome! [​IMG]

7. cmjust0

Apr 30, 2009
    Central KY
    You watch...we'll go out there tonight and there won't be anything in the boxes. [​IMG]

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Well they DO have to keep you on your toes!

9. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    don't they say chickens have short memories?? maybe for a day they forgot the hide-n-seek conspiracy??

10. cmjust0

Apr 30, 2009
    Central KY
    Three more eggs in the boxes last night, in two different compartments. The one I refilled with bedding was crushed down like someone had occupied it at some point, too, though it didn't have an egg in it.

I think it's just a matter of getting everyone to catch on at this point.. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by