a single chick has got to be

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mom 2em All, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    the saddest thing [​IMG]

This little Serama : "Sera" [​IMG] is peep peep peep peep peep peep like crazy.

Im setting up the brooder right now...feather duster, mirror, stuffed animal...grinding chick starter to a powder...I think I will use a juice lid for a water dish, its so little..peeppeepeeep...its breaking my heart.

Nothing going on with the other egg- no wiggle, no pip, no peep...nada. How long do I give it before I declare it not going to hatch? Seramas hatch on Day 19- the one I have hatched on Day 20ish (pipped last night, day 20, but exited egg this early a.m.) In other words, today is Day 21.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Have you heard peeping from the egg?

3. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    Can you just get a chick from the feed store?

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Give the little egg another day or two. Not all seramas will hatch on day 19. Some strains will go ahead and hatch just like other chicks on day 21 or later. Did you candle to make sure that it was fertile? I hear seramas can be hard to hatch so best of luck. Maybe you can buy the little guy a friend. I've done lone chicks and it is not the best thing in the world if it screams as soon as it can't see you. Mine had to live in a clear box in sight of my desk.

5. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I called the nearest feed store- they don't have any chicks. I don't know anyone who has any- because she is so tiny, it would have to be only a couple days old or less. I have my husband out on a hunt for a red light bulb because the one i bought must be for warming elephants. (what was I thinking? [​IMG] I bought a 250 watt brooder light.)

6. Xtradust

Xtradust Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Orange, CA
    My Serama chicks would PEEP like crazy all night unless I put them in a wool hat and closed the opening. EVERY NIGHT FOR TWO MONTHS!!! I've never had chickens like that. I have five Seramas. I think a single Serama chick would freak out. I'd plan on plenty of lap time if you can't find it a friend.

I was glad to get them into the coop! But, they are so friendly now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by