A skunk creeped in!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LizGled628, Jul 11, 2010.

1. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Since the weather is warm, I moved my brooder into the garage (2 RIR, 2 EE, 2 BR). I leave the door open during the day so they get some air, and close it at night, but last night was so hot I decided to prop open the back door a little. A few hours later I smelled a serious skunk! I opened my door and flipped on the garage light to find......all the chickies sound asleep, and a skunk eating the cat food (she ripped open a brand new bag!)! The chicks had no idea what was going on. My dog scared the skunk out, and the ladies kept sleeping :p I am incredibly lucky!

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Whew! That was definitely a close one! Good thing you had cat food in there. The skunk probably went for the easiest meal first. I know skunks can and do prey on chickens.

3. BrownEggFan

BrownEggFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Central PA
    A few weeks ago I didn't get my eggs until REALLY late - actually, it could be really early since it was after midnight. When I lifted the lid to the nesting box, there was a skunk in there!! [​IMG] I dropped the lid and went for a flashlight. I shined the light through the pop door opening (I don't have a door...yet) and there he sat munching on the eggs. I had looked earlier in the day when I added mash to the feeder and there were 5 at that time. I was so worried it was going to hurt one of my hens, but in the morning they were all there and I haven't see the skunk since...but I've been gathering my eggs up earlier too.

4. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I've heard that skunks love eggs, and that usually they only kill the chickens because they are going for the eggs. But I've also heard some pretty nasty stories about skunks that ONLY went for the chickens...I'll just count my blessings and lock the door from now on!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by