A skunk just skunked my dog who is now smelling awfully skunky...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MaggieRae, Jun 18, 2010.

1. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Songster

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    I hate skunks. They smell everything up and now they've taken my dog over to the smelly side. We used a 50-50 vinegar-water mixture, dawn dish soap, shampoo, and tomato paste/water mixture to get rid of the smell and taste. She's in her kennel now, moving around and licking. I feel so bad for her but I don't know what else I can do. Anybody have any experience with this? (I would have shot the darn thing, had I seen it and been willing to deal with the skunk-iness a dead skunk leaves you with...) The smelliness is everywhere!!!!! Agh!

2. aprophet

aprophet Songster

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    ther is a peroxide baking soda dawn dish detergent recipe that works the best if you google skunk remedy you will find it quick I trapped a good number of skunk when I lived in the blue ridge mtns it works well good luck

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

P.U. [​IMG]

4. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Well that's just plain skunky.

tomatoe juice, but not sure if that really works.

5. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    Lemon juice.

It kills most smells.

Good luck

6. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Crowing 8 Years

Jan 12, 2010
    lol! I've tried them all, they'll all get it out a little, but not compeletely... It will slowly dissappear over time and with a good shedding. She'll re-stink if she gets wet from rain etc...

The lemon juice and peroxide will bleach the dogs hair.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  7. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Songster

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Thanks for all the responses!

I think we got most of the smell out of her coat, she just has it in her nose now. You can smell it whenever she breathes out so I assume she smells it whenever she breathes in. Poor baby. The only thing I've found for that is to use a vinegar-water mix and "fine-spray up the nose being careful not to aspirate your dog". I'd rather not do that...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: