A slow, steady wipe-out.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lemongrass, Jul 12, 2011.

1. lemongrass

lemongrass Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    Maryland, US
    Hey guys. Its been a long time since I've been here. Sigh.

I had about 44 chickens. I've determined foxes are to blame for my new number of 1. That's right, 1. It took about a month, and for a while I was down to two - one hen, one rooster. Now only the rooster Bigsby remains.

I need a trap, but... hard financial times make me literally unable to buy about anything. You see, my fiance and I split and that leaves a lot of fixing up to do around here... financially as well as otherwise. That's a big reason why I've been MIA. I'm very sad about the loss of all my chickens and I very badly want to get some hens back asap. But I can't do that until I get rid of some foxes...

Has anyone ever built a trap? I'm saving up but I don't think I'll be able to buy a trap anytime soon. I know they're only like $100, and I might just go for it and see what other expenses I can swing for now... but I don't want to be short later. I do have plenty of supplies, as well as a friend with all the tools I need (thank goodness for friends!). If its totally ridiculous to build something, you can tell me so lol. [​IMG] Its not urgent I do this now, anyway. My financial situation should change by September, at which point I can easily afford the trap. But.. I'm not certain it will, and I'd really like to try and get some chicks brooded before winter comes. At this point my whole homestead seems to have become a wipe-out (except my goats) and I should probably just wait until next year. [​IMG]

2. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    I know the feeling well. Foxes do not quit until they have carried away every last chicken. They are the most active at dawn and at dusk and anytime during the night if they they think they can get away with it. Some are bold enough to take chickens right in the middle of the day. But if you can keep them locked up at night, I think a lot of your problem would be resolved. The not so humane traps are not expensive at all. Especially if you can get one used...$5 or so. But check the legalities of it where you live.

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Suggest you wait on birds untill you can set up electric fence. It will stop the predators except hawks as long as you set it up right and is far less expensive than conventinal fencing. Another advantage is you can easily reposition it as the flock grows

4. lemongrass

Mar 16, 2011
    Maryland, US
    Quote:Thanks. I have to be careful with my traps too because my dog roams around. It can't be something he can also get into.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Save your money on the trap. You can buy a bunch of snares or legholds for $100--depending which are legal in your state. Go to trapperman.com for ideas on how to set them. Sorry about your losses.

6. lemongrass

Mar 16, 2011
    Maryland, US
    Quote:Can't do that stuff because of my dog.

7. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Keep the dog on a long leash or in a fenced in area just till you get the fox.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey

Keep the dog on a long leash or in a fenced in area just till you get the fox.

Seems logical to me.

9. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    That is horrible, I am so sorry.
    How is the fox getting to your birds? Is that a more feasible fix? Can you make their run more secure?

10. patvetzal

patvetzal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Bancroft, Ontario
    Keep your dog in the run with the chickens, won't need traps:lol:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by