A small concern

Does my hens keep their eggs for a week or does they eat their own egg? We taking one week off away our farm.
If your hens have stopped laying it is most likely due to molting. Some hens stop laying in autumn and start laying again in the spring, taking a break for the winter. I do not know where you are located but this may well be the case 😉

If your hens have stopped laying it is most likely due to molting. Some hens stop laying in autumn and start laying again in the spring, taking a break for the winter. I do not know where you are located but this may well be the case 😉
i was very confused but thank for you kind reply

I agree and would like to add that laying is directly related to hours of daylight- if you are located somewhere where the days are getting shorter, than they will likely be slowing down egg production due to the reduced light. You can reverse this by adding a light to your coop that is on a timer- set it so that it comes on a couple hours before sunrise every morning.

Wait, are you asking if it is okay to leave the eggs while you go away from the farm? I have often wondered if I don't gather eggs quick enough if my chickens will eat them, so that's what I'm taking from your question.

I've left mine for nearly a day and the eggs were fine; but never for that long. Usually, people ask a neighbor or someone to collect the eggs (and use them, if they wish), rather than allow them to remain piling up over a long period of time.

Is someone going to check on your chickens while you are away? They can collect the eggs to ensure the chickens don't eat them over that period of time. With that many animals, you really do need someone to at least check in and make sure their food and water is still stocked and that no predator has invaded.

Is someone going to check on your chickens while you are away? They can collect the eggs to ensure the chickens don't eat them over that period of time. With that many animals, you really do need someone to at least check in and make sure their food and water is still stocked and that no predator has invaded.

ok so we added a electronic door opener and hopefully they don’t eat our egg. We added steel gate to protect them.

Back
Top Bottom