A small victory for the meaties (DH doesn't understand :( )

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
I'm very pleased this morning and DH doesn't really understand why.

All of my rescue meatie pullets are laying now. I was getting an egg here and there, but they are all laying now. One even lays an egg with pretty speckles, but that's not what I'm smiling about.

I'm smiling because they are all using their nestbox to lay in. One even really gets into the whole process - taking her time, fluffing the hay just so and clucking happily the whole time.

It's the world's biggest nestbox (a dog crate that would fit a cocker spaniel), but at least they are using it.
celebrate.gif

Silly thing to be happy about, but I'll take my smiles where I can get them.

Is Autumn a meat bird too? I have normal sized nestboxes for my layer birds, but I'm afraid the meaties are going to have to share the one crate. Those things are expensive and take up alot of room in the coop.

That is Fantastic!
celebrate.gif

I know it is strange (ok strangeness and me go hand and hand) but I have always, always felt sorry for the pullet cx who are processed. Yes, I feel bad for them all - having to live such a short life, but the girls always seem a waste to me. Must be from growing up on a farm - boys are food and girls are for making more food.
smile.png

Fingers crossed that your nest fluffer decides to go broody
fl.gif
Wouldn't that be an adventure.
ep.gif
clap.gif

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Autumn is a Standard Dark Cornish Hen. She recently started laying, two days ago.
smile.png

Then with her coloring I suspect Autumn is a perfect name for her. Congrats on the first eggs
smile.png

I need to get busy naming the meaties; only two of the pullets have names. First I have to figure out a way to tell them all apart. Decided against leg bands, so maybe colored zip ties.​

Quote:
The thought had crossed my mind. As you probably know, I have pleaded, begged and prayed for a broody for going on three years. Wouldn't it be a hoot if the only broody I get is a cornish X? Man, she could cover alot of eggs!
lol.png

I doubt that would ever happen. I'm just happy that they are happy. I knew y'all would understand.
smile.png

Quote:
Then with her coloring I suspect Autumn is a perfect name for her. Congrats on the first eggs
smile.png

I need to get busy naming the meaties; only two of the pullets have names. First I have to figure out a way to tell them all apart. Decided against leg bands, so maybe colored zip ties.

That or color their secondaries with a non-toxic marker.
lol.png
I did it with my Wyandottes. . .

So, by rescue, do you mean you're not using them as Meaties? How heavy are they by now? I'm hoping they have a restricted diet. Congrats anyway!
smile.png

Quote:
They were culls from a neighbors commercial broiler houses. Pulled out at 3 weeks old for not growing fast enough. The girls each weigh between 8 to 9 lbs. at 22 weeks old. They are healthy and get around just fine, albeit with a little bit of a waddle. They are outside to free range during the day and only allowed access to feed in the late afternoons. One is partially blind, so I don't expect too much of her. She gets alot of extra TLC.

Back
Top Bottom