A small warning about hay bales

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Solsken Farm, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

I put some banking around my coop and the pop doors on the south side to help insulate and keep the weather out about a month ago. Two days ago, one of my 3 month old cockerels went missing. I just found him wedged behind the bales. He must have suffocated or died from exposure. He is a pretty good sized bird, I just never imagined birds this age could get stuck behind the hay. I will have to make some adjustments. I am so sad.[​IMG]

Just wanted to warn folks.

2. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    I'm sorry that is really sad. [​IMG]

3. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I am so sorry for your loss....[​IMG]

The only use I have for haybales is to feed my goats. Thanks for the info.

4. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    I am so sorry to hear that...[​IMG]. I would also like to give a bit of advice out of a fear of mine - I use a metal trash can to store our chicken feed in & I make certain that I keep it away from the side of the coop about 12 in since that's always been my fear, is that our roos or huge blue cochin hen will get stuck between the feed can and the coop wall (not that I wouldn't be able to see them, just that they may get stuck and die before I get home at the end of the day. RIP baby roo! [​IMG]

5. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Oh, Jennifer that is a sad story. I don't know that anyone would have seen that one coming. Thanks for the warning and that will give everyone something to watch for in the future. Claudia

6. Solsken Farm

Thanks everyone. I sort of looked there that first night when he went missing, but perhaps if I had lifted the dang bales up I could have saved him.

I am thinking of taking them out at this point.

7. vickiemontana

vickiemontana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Montana
    Solskin Farm
    Were they inside or outside? I have them all over outside.

8. Solsken Farm

Vickie, they are outside up against the coop in the pens. They love sitting on them and sunning themselves on the south side.....I had the hay really tight against the coop but stacked two high. Poor little thing....

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Oh how sad. [​IMG] The worst lessons in life are the ones that we have to learn the hard way. Thanks for the warning and I'm so sorry that this happened. [​IMG]

10. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Well , I honestly was thinking of getting a couple of bales of Alphala hay and stacking along the inner wall of my coops , to help insulate the north wall . BUT forget that now , no way . I am so sorry for you loss . [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by