1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

a smell in the nest

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Puppybirds, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Puppybirds

Puppybirds Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2013
    Jackson MI
    My Barred rock hen has been sitting on about 20 eggs day and night for about 5 days. Now I smell a bad smell in the nest area,but it doesn't smell rotten. What could it be? What should I do?

2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Might just be Hen-Stench.

When they sit on eggs, their body goes thru the hen-stench phase. Their droppings get to be very stinky. Usually soupy.

That too will pass.

If you have a bad egg, I suggest take it out.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My broodies never smell bad.

I'd go through and check each of your eggs. 20 is a lot and some may have gone bad. I just give them each a sniff test and toss the ones that stink. At only 5 days I don't think you can really candle them yet? I don't do that so can't really say.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    You either have a rotten egg, or an egg got broken in the nest. If one broke, you will want to clean the nest box.

5. Puppybirds

Jun 16, 2013
    Jackson MI
    Thanks for all your replies. It is night now so I guess I have to wait till morning light. I think the eggs should be hatching any day now but I will check the nest even though she pecks me when I am in there. I will let you know how things go.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You said she's been setting for 5 days? How are they about to hatch? Incubation is 21 days.

7. OliverZoe

OliverZoe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    Wondering that myself [​IMG]

8. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    You can candle at day 5, and that is a good day to do it. Nightime with a flash light is the best way to do it.

I have had one of my broodies do a poo that was really smelly next to the eggs. I scooped it out and the smell went away.

I also agree to check the eggs carefully to make sure none have gone bad...but at only day 5, unless you've got really warm weather and old eggs to begin with, I would be surprised at a bad egg...but that is indeed the other likelihood...or a broken one.

I am careful when I clean not to disrupt too much. I can do a pretty good job with scooping and resettling around the established nest. I like to use timothy hay over pine shavings. The pine shaving absorb and defer order, the timothy hay acts like really good nesting material to cushion eggs. Together they make a very cushy nest.

Below is link to candling photos to help with the candling.

Good Luck.
    Lady of McCamley

Good explanation of how to candle
    http://lancaster.unl.edu/4h/embryology/candling.shtml

Good photos of stages of development in candled eggs
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-candling-pics-progression-though-incubation

9. Puppybirds

Jun 16, 2013
    Jackson MI
    I counted from the time that she would not leave the nest at all. My other hen was broody on 2 eggs but left the nest each day. Then there came a day that she did not leave it day or night. After about a week of that 2 chicks hatched. This one did the same thing so that's why I think they should hatch soon.

Thanks to all for the advice :) And to you, Lady of McCamley, for the candling links. I will keep you all up on the hatch and all.
    Thanks again!

10. Puppybirds

Jun 16, 2013
    Jackson MI
    This morning my broody hen was off her nest. So I investigated. There were 22 eggs in the nest and one broken egg way outside the nest. I smelled the other eggs. Some of the eggs in the front had a slight odor and one had a piece of shell on it. I put fresh pine shavings inside the nest on top of the hay under all the eggs. I left the piece of eggshell on the egg. Should I try to take it off the egg if it is stuck on there?

The egg that was broken was all the way open. A chick with black feathers was inside. I could see the beak,eyes and feet. Some yellow stuff was there too, but the chick did not look damaged.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by