1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

a snake got in my coop this morning.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by noitulover, May 15, 2009.

1. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    we don't know how... we thought the thing was completely sealed. we had closed and locked all doors last night. somehow a 7' snake got in and got two of our babies. they had just started going outside. i could kick myself for letting them stay out there. they were about 5-6 weeks old. they were fully feathered and it has been warm here. they were so happy to have all of the extra space. my fiance went into the coop this morning to feed/water and check on everyone. the snake had swallowed our RIR baby, had killed our Sebright, and was circling our Australorp bantam. he saved the australorp, but or TSC RIR and Sebright are gone.

we're both just devastated. they were like our children.

we're going to find the hole in the coop today.

2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Quote:Were the doors shut and locked during the day .. or were they open while the chicks were out? Could he have slithered in during the day ..?

I'm so sorry..

3. noitulover

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE double and triple check your coops for anything!

maybe if we had checked everything again, we wouldn't have lost our babies.

4. noitulover

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    i don't think so... our coop is divided into two halves (separated by a wall with small doors that we keep locked)... one half has the big full grown layers and the other half housed our chicks that were old enough to be outside and too young to go in the big half.

the doors to the outside are kept shut and locked all day long. the only door to the coop that is open is the small chicken door that leads into the run. the snake definitely wasn't in the big half of the coop when we locked them up last night. he must have gotten in through some kind of hole or something. we're going to check today to see if we missed a hole.

5. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    man that sux. please be sure to post how you determine the snake got in and a photo if possible. that's the one predator i'm not confident i have been able to prevent.

6. eggJOHNYOGA

eggJOHNYOGA Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2008
    Indiana
    When checking out your coop, be sure to look up. Most people forget that snakes are incredible climbers!

7. noitulover

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Quote:i'm assuming that's how, although not proven yet. our coop is a good seven-eight feet tall. i guess we thought everything was sealed there... but if there was a way it could get in, i'm assuming that's how.

8. noitulover

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    the babies are in my avatar. i just can't bear to delete. i can't believe they're really gone.

9. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

So sorry! Haven't seen any snakes around our coop, yet, but I know it's just a matter of time.

[​IMG] from Powhatan . . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by