A snake took the egg my hen was broddy on. Do I replace it?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shannara200, Jul 22, 2013.

1. shannara200

shannara200 In the Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    Hello everyone, I have a hen that has been broody for over 3 weeks and was incubating an egg during that period of time until a few days ago. it seems a snake worked its way into the box that I up for her - it was underneath the coop within the caged area - and eat the egg, now the hen is looking for more eggs to lay on, my question is this

Since she has been broody for over 3 weeks should I prevent her from having anymore eggs since she may be close to ending the broody?

or will she stay broody until she gets another egg and hatches it....

I am not sure what to do here, please advise

Thank you

Luis

2. chickencrazy999

chickencrazy999 Songster

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    Hello, Yes I think you should replace the egg and try and block the hole or place where the snake came in. It proberly depend's on th ebreed of chicken but sometimes mt bantam's can sit for about 6-7 weeks at a time so i am sure she will be fine with sitting for another few week's and did you say she was going to lay another egg ? also what's the breed of chicken ?

3. shannara200

Sep 16, 2012
    Hello thank you for responding, she is a Rohde island red and she stopped laying eggs since she became broody, when the other hens lay eggs and then leave the box she would go to the other box and lay on the egg they left behind.

The reason I setup the box outside the coop was so she could be close to the water and food which is kept under the coop. Since the snake knows that spot I would have to let her stay in the coop in one of the nesting boxes with her eggs.

would that be ok for her? would she starve if food and water is not close to her?

Luis

4. chickencrazy999

chickencrazy999 Songster

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    Yes That would be fine and you could maybe put a small bowl of water and food in there and also i would consider you putting at least 7-9 eggs underneath her to get a good chance of lots of chicks Good Luck please could you keep me updated :)

5. chickencrazy999

chickencrazy999 Songster

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK

6. chickencrazy999

chickencrazy999 Songster

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    Hope this website helps :)

7. shannara200

Sep 16, 2012
    Hello, Update my chicken is still broody I left one egg in the nest box for her and she has been sitting on it for about 3 days, she is up in the coop where I have moth balls at the entrance and at the openings to keep the snakes out. If all go's well she should be able to hatch it if she can, I only put one egg because if it does hatch I do not have the resources to care for the chick so if I only have one it would be easier on me to figure out what I should do for it.

by what I have read the egg should hatch in 21 to 28 days so I guess we will see what happens.

I hope she takes breaks to eat and drink something, that is my main concern, I hope she does not get sick or die due to the lack of food and water.

8. NikonD2xer

NikonD2xer Songster

Apr 26, 2013
    Southern Minnesota
  9. shannara200

Sep 16, 2012
    update its been 7 days since my hen has been incubating the egg I gave her, so far she seems to be ok. She does leave the coop once in a while to eat and drink so I think she will be ok, as for the egg I am not sure when it will hatch if it ever does.

As for snakes there has not been any issues, I put moth balls at all entrances to the coop and air vents they seem to be working.

I will update again incase anyone is following this post :)

10. chickencrazy999

chickencrazy999 Songster

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    Yes, Sorry that is great who was the egg layed bye ? Also im hatching out 14 quail eggs under a bantam wich she has now been sitting on for 8 day's and should hatch this sunday so that will be exciting ! hope your hen does well,

Ella . (It takes 15-18 day's for quail egg's to hatch) :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by