A snake tried to eat 3 of my full grow silkies

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chicken Casanova, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Chicken Casanova

Chicken Casanova Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2011
    Hello every one at back yard chickens. About 2 months ago i had a 5ft snake get in my coop and try to swallow 3 of my prized white silkies and ended up sufocating them in the process. Wich i walked in on at night while going to check on them and i killed the beast. I never knew it would try to eat a full grow chicken the size of a very exspensive coffe pot im talkin one that can hold 10 cups worth of water. Now I am down to 1 white silkie rooster and 2 black silkie hens, and at night i put them in a protected hutch so nothing can get to them. DO ANY of you know anything i can put out to deteroate snakes from coming neer my coop or yard. I had two guineas and they were shaking when i came into the coop becase they were so frightened of the snake. Please some on post back i need help.[​IMG]

2. GA_in_GA

GA_in_GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    Sorry to hear of your loss. [​IMG]

3. Chicken Casanova

Jan 27, 2011
    Thank you i cryed for like 3 days. Do you know how to keep snakes away?

4. mclevinson

mclevinson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth, stapled very closely all around. Sounds like you have larger wire?

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Sounds like you are going to have to change your set up and use wire that a snake won't be able to get in.

6. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    I know there are people who will disagree but snakes aren't the brightest crayons in the box.

7. 1livelychick

1livelychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    So sorry for your loss. I lost my white Silkie hen, Sugar the exact same way. Hardware cloth and then deer netting over it. THe snakes get tangled in the deer netting! Sorry again for your loss.

8. Chicken Casanova

Jan 27, 2011
    sounds good thanks for all the i found a place online that sells a snake repellent that your pour around your coop.[​IMG]

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    There is a thread on here somewhere about using minnow traps to catch snakes. Also bird netting rolled and placed around your coop/pens will very frequently entangle snakes so that they may be dispatched.

10. chigger bait

chigger bait Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Jonesborough, Tennessee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by