A snakes' version of PMS

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by TwistedSerpent, Jul 10, 2010.

1. TwistedSerpent

TwistedSerpent Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    PSS, or pre shed syndrom. When the new scales is completely developed beneath the old ones it is ready for the old skin to come off. A cloudy liquid is produced between the layers to seperate them. The single scale over the snakes eyes is clear, so when this cloudy liquid comes you can see it there, and they really cant see as well. Some snakes refuse to eat, some get very edgy and jumpy, some of the more meaner species even become more hesitant to strike because their aim isnt as good, some dont act like anything is happening. A few though get edgy to the point of wanting to do whatever in their power to kill you.

For example, member of the Pituophis group (bullsnakes, pinesnakes, and gophersnakes) are known for being big bluffers, often putting on more of a show then puttign up an actual fight. This girl is a North Mexican pine and usually follows those lines, but tonight someone interested in buying her requested more pictures and she was not too pleased about it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Poor snake. They don't recognize your scent (taste)?

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    She does not look happy ..but she is very pretty ... Did she bite you ?? I dont think i would have picked her butt up myself . But i am a chicken when it comes to snake bites

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Pretty snake! I remember freaking out the first time my ball python Dixie shed after I got her. I thought she was dying. I frantically contacted an internet friend/snake expert who told me to look at her belly. Yep, as pink as pink could be.
    Dixie was pretty docile during her sheds. She just wanted to be left alone.

5. TwistedSerpent

TwistedSerpent Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Yes she does recognise me, still didnt change the fact that she wanted to be left alone.

No she didnt get me, for an angry snake shes still quite easy to work with. She was focusing on movement, so aiming for face, hand, and camera which was out of reach. She's one of those snakes that doesnt see what she's being held by as apart of the threat so unless I go waving fingers by her head she will ignore that hand.

6. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    LOL Love the second picture, what a cheeky girl, totally determined to bite you head off.
    None of my snakes get aggravaed in shed and a couple will eat even though they have bad strike range,
    The only miserable snake in hte house is my Emerald Tree Boa, but then again he is a stinker even with out the shed.
    he is the only one I am not looking forward to getting hit by, not that I look forward to that but it happens sometimes, the others are just little boogers yet.

She sureis one beautiful snake thats for sure and I am also sure she would look really nice in one of my enclosures.

Oh my 9 inch iguana in shed is more of a threat than any of them except that ungrateful tree boa LOL.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  7. city kid farm

city kid farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Funny description of a snake's reaction to shed - and so true. You have a beautiful girl there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by