A sneezy, coughing EE mystery

VultureStew

Hatching
Jul 12, 2016
Hello kind folks,

I have a not-quite two-year older Easter Egger who is coughing/sneezing (I heard her once yesterday, but this morning it was very obvious. )She is in a coop with 4 other hens, and they free range all day. Here in Wisconsin it has been cool and rainy, but we have also had a bit of wind and have a dusty yard because of construction on dry days. I quarantined her immediately this morning in my garage. Her behavior is normal (eating and drinking with gusto, keeping up with her friends on their adventures, still laying daily, body condition looks great). She doesn't have any discharge but the coughing/sneezing/wheezing sounds were very noticeable.

The plot thickens because I spoke with her previous owner - and it turns out she experienced a similar episode last spring about this time that lasted a few days.

Reading through all the wisdom in the forums, it appears I have three options, I'm just not sure what the best (safest) course of action is.
1. Treat with duramycin (throw away her eggs - would be a shame because we have four EEs and if I reintroduce her to the flock, I'll have to toss ALL those eggs. Not ideal but will do it if I have to.)
2. Treat for fungus with a vaporizer (just her? Or all of the birds in with her?)
3. Allergies? Is this actually a thing? Although she definitely sounded better this evening in her quarantine box... I heard a sneeze but not repeated, and couldn't hear the wheezing I did this morning.

So, I'm looking for advice. I appreciate all of your help - I've learned so much from this place in the past year!

She is a sweet bird and I hate to see her under the weather!

Thanks,
Erika (and Mufasa the EE)

I should probably add: she has been with all of the same birds her whole life, and we acquired them 8 months ago. No one New has been introduced to the mix!

Hello kind folks,

I have a not-quite two-year older Easter Egger who is coughing/sneezing (I heard her once yesterday, but this morning it was very obvious. )She is in a coop with 4 other hens, and they free range all day. Here in Wisconsin it has been cool and rainy, but we have also had a bit of wind and have a dusty yard because of construction on dry days. I quarantined her immediately this morning in my garage. Her behavior is normal (eating and drinking with gusto, keeping up with her friends on their adventures, still laying daily, body condition looks great). She doesn't have any discharge but the coughing/sneezing/wheezing sounds were very noticeable.

The plot thickens because I spoke with her previous owner - and it turns out she experienced a similar episode last spring about this time that lasted a few days.

Reading through all the wisdom in the forums, it appears I have three options, I'm just not sure what the best (safest) course of action is.
1. Treat with duramycin (throw away her eggs - would be a shame because we have four EEs and if I reintroduce her to the flock, I'll have to toss ALL those eggs. Not ideal but will do it if I have to.)
2. Treat for fungus with a vaporizer (just her? Or all of the birds in with her?)
3. Allergies? Is this actually a thing? Although she definitely sounded better this evening in her quarantine box... I heard a sneeze but not repeated, and couldn't hear the wheezing I did this morning.

So, I'm looking for advice. I appreciate all of your help - I've learned so much from this place in the past year!

She is a sweet bird and I hate to see her under the weather!

Thanks,
Erika (and Mufasa the EE)
Hi
frow.gif
Welcome To BYC

It's possible dry, dusty conditions could be bothering her. Since she is sneezing/wheezing (how often?) and has no mucous/discharge, then treating her with antibiotics probably won't help at this point. Antibiotics can help if there is a secondary infection (mucous/pus, discharge or watery eyes, facial swelling, etc.).

Check her nostrils to see if they are clear of food/debris and also inside her beak for any signs of blockages or plaques.

Some people do have success with using vapor, usually they use Oxine. You could also try VetRx to see if this gives her any relief - I have not tried it, but I hear good things about it.

Keep us posted on her progress.

Back
Top Bottom