A soapdish chick feeder and a birthday hatching

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Hoppelchen, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Hoppelchen

Hoppelchen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2010
    As soon as my chicks could eat they started to dust bathe in their food bowl and as I looked around for something more sensible to use, I remembered that the bathroom contained this stainless steel soap dish with a cover that has holes in it and it works great.

The beer can is on there to stop them climbing on too much and this keeps their lil' butts pointing away from the food(mostly). Even then, the dish has 8 feeding stations.
    [​IMG]

I timed the hatching of the eggs so that it happened on my husbands' birthday -- we have a rule that we gift the other person with what we're actually buying for ourselves, so, he got jumbo golden quails this year.

I have to say this was a great weekend -- chicks just spread so much happiness with their antics, we spend hours completely transfixed watching them [​IMG]

In fact it was so much fun (and so easy!) that we're going to set this up as a birthday present for some of our family members and friends (and of course take the quail back home with us after a few days days, this is just a hatching experience).

Btw, how many of you thought that an opened egg was still hatching because is was rocking wildly at times ... only to find after 20 minutes of expecting the chick to emerge that in fact, it was already empty and just swaying in the breeze from the incubator fan? It can't have just been us falling for that one right? [​IMG]

Hatch results were 34 eggs that made it through the mail, 22 surviving chicks, two late hatches -- one with curly toes (now wearing snowshoes) and one that pipped but gave up cracking the shell. Most are yellow, but I have one mohican and one tabby coloured one.

How did I ever live my life without quail?

2. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

loooove the soap dish feeder!

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:I WAS KINDA PARTIAL TO THE CARLSBURG.... :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by