1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A South African hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Hydro, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Hydro

Hydro New Egg

Aug 22, 2013
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Hi There
    I've just starting keeping chickens in our back garden; quite unusual in a city I'd imagine. Our chickens are about 5 months old and we're eagerly awaiting our first eggs. My son has named each after the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. We have no idea what variety they are (we got them from a farm 2hr away), but they're steadily settling in to their new surroundings [​IMG] The most fun was building the coop - which I may have got a little carried away with.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Donatello, Michelangelo, Raphael and Leonardo The coop with an internal shed for roosting, and a run

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Nesting boxes inside the shed View from inside the coop

2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Welcome! My daughter would love your chicken names lol major TMNT fan. Glad you have joined us [​IMG]

3. Webechickens

Webechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    East Central Indiana
    Welcome from east central Indiana! Love your chickens. Would love to know what they are.

4. Hydro

Hydro New Egg

Aug 22, 2013
    Cape Town, South Africa
    As long as my son doesn't hand them green outfits and a variety of weapons, we'll be fine lol :) Thanks for the welcoming message. I'm still trying to figure this all out :)

5. Hydro

Hydro New Egg

Aug 22, 2013
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Hey there. Nobody is quite sure what they are. The best guess is a cross-breed of a few varieties lol. They were brought up on a farm where they had rule of the land, but if I ever find out, I'll let you know. They have really beautiful colours. I hope you're having a great day in central Indiana. I've visited your neighbouring state Illinois before - coldest I've ever been in my life!! Loved every second :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, Hydro, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by