A Stalking Hawk

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by eds500, May 16, 2011.

1. eds500

eds500 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    I posted in another forum about a temporary playspace that I created using fence posts and safety fence. The next day, my son was in the playspace with the hens and a large hawk landed on the limb above the hen house scoping the hens in the playspace. I ran outside and the hawk flew away. The hawk was known in the neighborhood for over a year but I hadn't seen him in awhile. So the hens went back in the run, the playspace was taken down and that was that. Well, today while having lunch, I saw a reflection in a mirror of something flying into the back yard. The playspace was not up and the hens were in the locked run but the hawk apparently sees something he likes and is back checking out the coop.

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hope springs eternal in the hearts and minds of all predators.[​IMG]

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

He's after dinner for sure!

4. BuffsareBad

BuffsareBad Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    I love watching nature. I bet he is thinking..."humm, that wire doesnt look that strong". Hope he moves on away from your coop!!

5. pistol123

pistol123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    oregon
    I just had my big Australope hen picked up and taken to a tree where he killed her and then left her hanging and came back later to eat her! I had no idea they cold lift somthing so big while it's fighting. Yes, they do take chickens, this is the 2 nd one. I just did not know that the first one went the same way. Now I can't let the girls out of the Chiken coop till I buy a big chain link run with a top.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by