A Stinker In Lockdown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ms.cluckling, Jan 7, 2011.

1. ms.cluckling

ms.cluckling Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have a serious problem. When I opened my incubator to fix the humidity, I smelled, well, a smell that could a make a skunk jealous! What do I do??!! I'm thinking it might be from an egg I had a while ago. An egg that (I wrote it in this thread somewhere) I dropped and cracked in the first few days of incubation while I was turning it. Do you think that, maybe, there's some residue in the incubator left over from when the egg broke, and that's what's going bad? (I cleaned it as well as possible...)
    My eggs are in lockdown, this is the first time I've ever attempted to hatch ANYTHING, and I need serious help!!!

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Can you see any "leakers" with your flashlight? Can you open it super-fast and give them each a sniff?

3. ms.cluckling

Dec 20, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    leakers?? Let me go check...

4. ms.cluckling

Dec 20, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    nothing's leaking!! AHH I'm so nervous!

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Open the box, find the stinker and remove it. If it's already begun leaking clean that up with some bleach water solution (10:1). Then put the eggs back, mist it once with some warm water, then watch your hygrometer. If it's not back to where it should be in an hour or so you may need to open/close the ventilation.

You shouldn't open the box unnecessarily the last three days, but that's not to say you can't open it at all if you need to. You need to get that stinker out before it causes you real problems.

6. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Look for one that seems to have crystiline growths/droplets on it. That will be your pre-splosion egg.

7. ms.cluckling

Dec 20, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    so I should sniff each one?? Aren't you not supposed to move them?

8. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Definitely do a sniff test on each egg and get that sucker out of there before it really becomes a problem and explodes in your 'bator. Handle the offender very gently and put it in a ziplock bag as soon as you get it out. [​IMG]

9. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    You can move them if you are quick and you put them back in the same position they were before. Just be careful you dont accidentally squeeze one when it is above the rest. The stinker MAY crack when handled.

10. ms.cluckling

Dec 20, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Gotcha. I'm going downstairs to finish this once and for all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by