A Stoopid Rat (pics added of food covers)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by seminolewind, Feb 16, 2014.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I have spent the last 2 weeks creating a system for locking up my feed at night. 4 coops lock up with the food inside. Then I have another 3 that had their bowls out in their pens. I use chamber pots. I got a few of those paint buckets from Lowe's, drilling 2 holes in the bottom. Put the chamber pot on a concrete patio block, put the paint bucket over it upside down. Attached a wire and ran it thru a pulley and to outside the pen, and a hook for raised and a hook for lower. So at night, I just lower the buckets without having to go into the pens.

So I made the rats hungry, and my poison in the bait traps is being nibbled on. Last week I put a rat snap type trap out with some dog food smeared on the trigger. The food was gone the next day, but the trap didn't go off. But yesterday, a dead rat in a trap that had no bait in it for a week! How stupid is that?

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    He was hungry and it didn't hurt him before, probably scent remained and tried to dig harder at it so it finally triggered.

Got a pic of your food bucket contraption?

3. Farmer Brian

Farmer Brian Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2012
    Never under estimate a rat. They are survivers. If you miss a rat like that, you may never catch it. They learn very quickly, esp. to danger. They don't like anything new in their enviroment either, so not unusual to have a trap set for a month, for that one shot at catching it. If there are more than one, the young ones will get caught first, and the older, smarter ones maybe not at all.

1 person likes this.
  4. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Aart, I'll get a picture tomorrow and post it.

5. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Aart, here are the pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last pic shows the wire to the outside, it has a nail for up and a nail for down. You can click on them and enlarge.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Oh I see...the bucket lowers over the food dish, cool!

7. Meadowchick

Meadowchick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2014
    Louisiana
    I love this! We are big on repurposing buckets here, too!!! :)

8. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Thanks. I have most of my Florida chickens in open pens now, and needed to not have food sitting out. So when we lock up, we just lower 4 buckets -so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by