A story in pictures **VERY PIC HEAVY**

Cetawin

Rest in Peace 1963-2021
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
NW Kentucky
Well that past month has been a busy and an exciting one. I attended my first poultry swap and had a blast. At the end of it I was plus 2 mille fluer babies, 3 silkie babies and a bantam cochin...I went to sell 2 ducks but brought them home.

Then this past weekend I went to visit speckledhen in GA and left with a 3 yo Black Orp girl named Delilah aka DeDe and 2 black orp babies 7 weeks old, Ebony and Baize...Baize came home with me so Ebony would not be lonely during quaratine and he has a new home when they are old enough to separate. And I brought home 2.5 dozen hatching eggs, mostly Orps.
cool.png

Then I left GA and headed back homeward and stopped in TN to visit with wegotchickens and left there with the black silkie I intended to pick up and another partridge silkie because they were buddies and it would have been horrible to separate them.
lol.png

And I still have the two ducks I originally wanted to sell. And I put 13 duck eggs in the incubator that are due to hatch July 9th.

So, I return home on Monday and everyone is a okay then Tuesday morning hits and I have a drake limping so he is in isolation thinking someone stepped on him during the night, 3 birds in a dog crate in quarantine in the basement, 1 spoiled bantam cochin that is still in the house in my DDs room with her own cage, 5 silkies and 2 mille fleurs in the house in their own cage/box and 19 full grown birds and 10 ducks wondering what the heck is going on around here.

So for the story in pictures...

3 Orps from speckledhen in quarantine in basement:

HPIM7222.jpg

Baize who is going to live with scbatz in a few weeks:
HPIM7260.jpg

Ebony who will stay with me:
HPIM7262.jpg

Both are broody raised and still very much not into being picked up and handled...along with DeDe who at 3 yo suffers from DO NOT TOUCH ME Syndrome and is quickly learning that around here that just don't fly

HPIM7268.jpg

HPIM7269.jpg

DeDe who has never been a mama herself has been very good with youngsters right beside her and was even caught shoving pieces of scrambled egg under the wire divider to the two youngsters.

So, one of the Milles was not acting as Cheyenne thought she should and Cheyenne not trusting me to know what to do with a bantam/mille decided she needed to talk to an expert....so the call was placed to wegotchickens ... they discussed the situation and some polyvisol was given, milles were taken outside for the day to play and romp and baby milles are doing just fine. hahahaha While outside, the rest of the flock came to check them out...with hardwire cloth separating them of course...

Minding their own business:

HPIM7232.jpg

HPIM7233.jpg

HPIM7236.jpg

Then the Delaware known as Fattie came to investigate the peeping noises and be investigated by the silkies

HPIM7238.jpg

HPIM7242.jpg

Then the babies wanted to see who else was out there when Fattie left

HPIM7243.jpg

Ruby the red cochin came to see what was in that little coop peeping

HPIM7245.jpg

HPIM7246.jpg

The the flock leader came over to check out the noise makers...Thor looked at them and watched them a few minutes and then moved on about his business watching to make sure these things did not go after his girls or anything else dangerous

HPIM7247.jpg

HPIM7249.jpg

Then Bella and Penelope came around to see the noisey little ones too

HPIM7248.jpg

Molly came to have a quick look

HPIM7251.jpg

Then came Tonks and then Lucy

HPIM7252.jpg

HPIM7253.jpg

The babies watched Severus the roo very closely as he looked around them for food

HPIM7255.jpg

Severus, Penelope and Maggie checked out the babies...

HPIM7256.jpg

And finally Holly gave them the look over...everyone else came by but not too close to the scary peeping things

HPIM7257.jpg

The babies had a busy day and met a lot of biggies...what will tomorrow bring for them?

Last edited:
Oh what fun! You had better start building another coop, Lady!
lol.png

Isn't it so funny, how curious they all are! What is all that peeping over there? I especially adore Fattie! Dellies are my weakness (and Barred Rocks). By the way, when are you gonna get a few Barred Rocks? You really need to have a few! I heard (somewhere) that they really like grapes.
gig.gif

I have those very same cages (in the first picture)! They are on sale right now, a really good price, so I bought 2 of them (One larger than the other). I think I will go back and get a couple more. One just never knows when they will come in handy! (Like taking a Silkie to Georgia!
lau.gif
)

Last edited:
Kathy - I love those crates. I took that one to GA and the box fit in the car great but put together, it would not fit through the crazy door of the car...but I originally bought 4 Large like DeDe and babies are in and 1 XL for Casca. I got them to transport the ducks from Oregon to KY. They worked great. All my Ancona (5) fit in the XL and I put 3 GWH i 2 L ones...everyone had plenty of room too.

No barred rocks for me. I will keep my Orps and Cochins for breeding, my others will be my laying flock and as they pass away, I will not replace that breed. The bantams, I will keep the silkies to be my incubators (hopefully I have females out of the 5 of them), the 2 Mille Fleurs are Cheyennes and I am getting a bantam cochin boy for Hera...right now it looks like I may be getting a mottled boy for her but I can also choose a silver laced boy or a gold laced boy.

The BRs sure are wonderful though.

crazy chook of course you are not alone, at least not around this forum. It is a strong person to JUST SAY NO to cute fuzzy butts. LOL

Thank you Mahonri.
smile.png

You have gooooorgeous birds, Cetawin!! I would love to see another picture of Severus, he is very handsome fella!

Side note: Those quarantine cages are awesome, I saw that Kathy mentioned they were on sale? If you don't mind me asking, where did you guys find them? I have a million and one separation needs right now, cobbled together hardwire boxes are getting to be a pain and all the cages I've been able to find are outrageous.

Quote:
I bought mine at the co-op back in Oregon they were around $45 with the dividers and double doors. The XL was like $55 I believe. I know you can get them at wal-mart and so forth...tractor supply I believe carries them and runs them on sale too.

Here are pics of Severus for you

7630_goodboys23wks.jpg

7630_severus22wks3.jpg

7630_severus21wks.jpg

7630_severus20wks.jpg

He is a BA/EE boy.

Last edited:
Quote:
I bought mine at the co-op back in Oregon they were around $45 with the dividers and double doors. The XL was like $55 I believe. I know you can get them at wal-mart and so forth...tractor supply I believe carries them and runs them on sale too.

Here are pics of Severus for you

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/7630_goodboys23wks.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/7630_severus22wks3.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/7630_severus21wks.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/7630_severus20wks.jpg

He is a BA/EE boy.

Thanks, I'll have to check those out! The only ones I've found around here were upwards of $70 (even at our Walmart, but I may need to check again) and had no dividers and only a single door.

TOTAL SWOON over Severus, I love love love his unique coloring!! Thanks for the pics, that last one is especially awesome!

Back
Top Bottom