A strange, warty egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by azygous, Feb 9, 2011.

1. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    [​IMG] One of my six-month old Buff Brahma pullets laid this strange egg. She normally lays smooth brown eggs, but this was white with brown, raised warts. It also was thin-shelled. Anyone ever had a warty egg before?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

That's a pretty cool egg.

Imp

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm getting those right now from one of my buff brahma hens, but mine is suffering from egg peritonitis. Don't know that the peritonitis is causing it, may just be a coincidence.
    Here's some information on the different egg quirks you are liable to find in backyard eggs:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/ourbooks/1/egg-quality-handbook/

From experience though I'd say if it's just a one time thing, I'd chalk it up to a quirk.

Are you offering oyster shell?

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Are you giving huge amounts of calcium or anything?

5. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    I haven't gotten one of those but I had to jump in and say it's pretty cool looking! lol I hope it's nothing and just turns out to be a random egg!

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    All of my thirteen girls get free demand oyster shell. They eat Layena pellets mixed in with flock grower since they adore flock grower, and will eat Layena as long as they can have the flock grower.

They also get daily fresh raw veggies, occasional yogurt, hot oatmeal and raisins on sub-zero mornings, and a small ration of scratch grain. They eat better than I do.

This egg was laid two weeks ago, and all eggs since have been normal, I'm relieved to report.

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:From what I have read on BYC people seem to think these are calcium deposits...nothing to worry about if they are infrequent. I have seen this very occasionally in my own flock but just a little on the egg.

Here is one thread I found:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=37327

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Thanks for the links everyone! And the reassurance. I kind of figured she was a novice and she was squirting out some kind of creative, practice egg. It sure is unusual, though, and might win a prize at an egg decorating contest! Not often you see an egg with texture and design!

9. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    I'd blow it out & keep the shell, thats pretty cool!

10. Monk422

Monk422 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    Manteca, Ca
    We've had this happen as well. It was the day after we added crumbled up egg shells to their feed. Kinda purrty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by