A Stressed, terrified, or maybe just stubborn hen

ShelbyCoral

Songster
6 Years
I have a D'uccle hen who Is 1 and 1/2 years old. She was my first D'uccle hen and I got her with my second flock. My first flock was attacked by coyotes so I got 12 more chickens. Well, she was 35 weeks old when the attack happened and she was laying fine and happy. Then the attack happened and took 5 chickens, leaving her, my Ancona, my 2 polish, and 1 Easter Egger. (2 died from hawk attacks at 8 weeks old). She was so scared and still is! This attack happened in April of last year(2014). She wont come out of the barn and still wont! When I bring her out, she is on guard and is scared half to death! She hides between my legs or under a chair. She has another D'uccle friend now and her friend lays even though she is 2 years old. Anyone have any idea on how I can help my hen? NO CULLING! She is pet. >:
This is peanut, i took this picture yesterday.

This was the day before the attack... her with her friends.

Why even mention culling? Given her small size, her caution is a good thing. Even the smallest hawk could kill her readily. She's actually safer in the barn.

Sorry to hear she went through such an ordeal. Do you try distracting her with tasty treats like meal worms or sunflower seeds or anything really? Maybe start close to where she hides and slowly over time spread it out further and farther away.

I am at a loss. A year is a long time, but she is obviously still mentally affected. Do you talk to her? I know it sounds silly, but maybe if she can associate good things with your voice she'll make some progress.

Gosh it sounds like you have a lot of hawk problems. Maybe your flock needs more protection. I think any type of stress may stop their egg laying . She sounds really stressed.

Back
Top Bottom