a study on housing in coturnix quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by quail42, Dec 7, 2016.

1. quail42

quail42 Just Hatched

Dec 4, 2016
    http://evolution.data.unibe.ch/WelfarePdfs/Schmid_AABS1997.pdf

I am trying to design a coop ideal for happy quail that lay eggs. I found the above study which is interesting. It sounds like they do not need a large aviary space or perches/second levels, but do prefer dirt floors and a nesting box. It says even when given lots of logs and plants in the open area, they still spent more time in the nesting box.

2. Q QUAIL S

Q QUAIL S Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2016
    Per each quail they need a half a square foot at the least. And also most quail do not use a nesting box they usually lay on the ground a nesting box also sounds like a great idea. If you don't have your coop on the ground you could also use a nesting box and put sand in it for a sand box. To dust bathe in.

3. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Make it a height that's comfortable for you to clean out - my small cages are elevated and the quail are very happy, friendly and calm in them. I tried a trio in our new aviary that has plants and wood and strips of bark - lots of cover for them to hide. They hated it and acted terrified all the time, like your typical, highly strung prey animal. One quit laying altogether. It was an easter egg hunt to find the others eggs! I finally gave up and moved them back to their small cage. In a small enclosed cage them seem to feel a lot safer. Many people find smaller, uncomplicated cages make for better laying birds.

This is a good site for options on how to keep your quail: http://www.quailfarm.co.uk/index.php/quail-info/quail-cages

4. quail42

quail42 Just Hatched

Dec 4, 2016

Yes the study had similar findings. They mainly laid in the covered area and spent most of they time there as opposed to the exposed natural area:

5. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    I was interested in what they said about them pairing off to breed and raise babies. I'd love to see that!

6. Q QUAIL S

Q QUAIL S Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2016
    I [​IMG] the website that you mentioned it gives you almost all the information about quail.It helped me get started with my quail!!!!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by