A Stupid Egg Suckin' Dog Issue - If it wasn't my daughters dog........

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by luvmychix, Dec 29, 2008.

1. luvmychix

luvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    It would be GONE!!! when i go out to gather eggs, i have to put the bucket of eggs down at my feet because i have to use both hands to shut and lock my gate.... EVERY day she does this! I set them down and no matter how fast i am that dog is faster! She swipes a mouth full of eggs and runs like hell!!! and she know she has done wrong! I know she knows because you cant catch her for hours after that!!! she dont eat the shell, just cracks it in her mouth, sucks the yolk out and spits the shell out in one peice! all while on the run! then she will circle around you and try to do it again! so you have to hold the eggs up high because she will try to take them from you or she will bite your pant legs (but not bite you) to trip you or she will jump up from the back and push you down so she can have an egg! I am so Sick of this! My husband got an idea to take a few eggs and blow them out, wax the holes on the ends, take a needle and fill the eggs with hot sauce and act normal and let her swipe one! well, we tried it, he done this to 5 eggs, set them in the bucket and walked off, she took them all one by one. it DIDN'T work! any thoughts on how to stop this behavior? other than this she a is a realy GOOD dog! she is house trained, protects the kids and everything! Other than this i like the dog! but i can NOT have this anymore! I hate to get rid of her because she is my daughters dog but i may have to......She is a 10 month old brindle Black Mouth Cur... we have 11 dogs and SHE is the only one that does this! yet she will lay down in the chicken pen and let the baby chicks jump and walk all over her and lick them and never once tried to hurt them or anything! Please help... thanks!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    So the spiked eggs didnt work!?..darn!..what about filling the eggs with "bitter apple" spray?....AND also coating the outside with it?...that might work...[​IMG]....cant hurt at this point...sorry about your egg sucking dog...[​IMG]..

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    sounds like you need to open up a can of whoop axx on her........

Have you thought of changing your collection method? Use a box that you can close.

Put a screw or a large nail in the wood by the gate to hang the basket up off of the ground......

Any dog of mine that bit at my pant legs to try to get food from me would get a good swift kick in the mouth.

4. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Easiest solution I can come up with is tie or chain the dog when you go to collect eggs, then turn it loose once the eggs are safely put away.

5. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Put a lid on the bucket & don't let her anywhere near you-you may not be quick enough to stop her but I'm sure your foot is quick enough to send her on her way [​IMG]

6. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    When no one can help you collect eggs, tie the dog up or put it in its crate.

When someone can help you, have the other person walk the dog alongside you, under tight control, on its lead. Correct even the slightest move towards eggs, and tell the dog the eggs belong to you. Dogs understand the concept of "mine" very clearly. They would never steal food from the alpha wolf.

7. luvmychix

luvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    thanks for all the replies! That is a GOOD idea! for some reson i had NOT thought to have a lid for the basket... I think i an going to go to town today and maybe buy like a sewing basket/picnic basket something like that or maybe even an icecream bucket and use the lid with it!... and trust me I have kicked that darn dog in the mouth so many times it's not funny! I try to bloody that mouth when i can! And I KNOW it's not because she is hungry. We have a dog food bin on the porch that holds 50 pounds of feed that is full all the time! Like i said though, i dont want to have to get rid of her but i can't have this either. something has to change or one way or another she is gone. Also putting her on a chain may have to come into play too!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  8. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    Teach the dog the 'leave it' command. It may take a while since he is a puppy, but it will be worth it.

9. Buster

Buster Back to Work

The dog is not respecting you if she is tripping you and stealing from you.
    You need to teach your dog that you are dominant over her and those are YOUR eggs- not hers. What you may do is put her on a leash and go for the egg bucket with her there. That way you have a hold on her. If she swipes the eggs, "roll" her. I do this with my dog- I roll her on her back and sit on her and put one hand over her mouth and one on her throat and growl in her face. It works wonders for when she forgets who's the boss. I don't do it much but it really gets my point across when something is important. Her taking what's yours is unacceptable and this is one way to show her you mean business in "dog talk". By rolling her you show complete dominance. You may have to do it several times- just keep setting her up and be consistent and she'll get the point. Good luck!

10. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:That is a really good command for dogs to know. My mom's dog knows that one, and he LOVES sneaking anything paper and ripping it to shreds. If you see him with a paper plate in his mouth and say, "Leave it!" he drops it automatically.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by