A sucessful night outside (I'm sleepy!)

KnitswithChickens

Songster
14 Years
Apr 7, 2009
Vermont
Whoo-hoo! My chicks spent their first night outside in the coop.
clap.gif
They had been playing in the run during the day and back in the brooder at night. I got tired of chasing my Silver Laced Wyandotte around to catch her (she's a wily one) so I decided it was time to stay outside. Since they wouldn't go up the ramp, I had to catch my two easy chickens (they come when called) and put them into the coop through the nesting box. I managed to wrangle the SLW after 20 minutes of dripping sweat (me, not the chicken) and she too entered via the nesting box. I closed the nesting box off and peered through the window at them. They seemed pretty happy, exploring a new space.
So I shut up the house and went to bed. I tossed and turned, went to the porch to listen for noises - all quiet. Dreamed about raccoons,
ep.gif
went outside with a flashlight - all was well. Tossed and turned some more, and finally dawn arrived at which point I rushed outside to peek at the chickies. They were all cosy together in a corner, totally ignoring the roost. I opened the pop door and they all peered down as though afraid of heights. Finally my BO waddled down followed by the SLW and then the Golden Sex-link who sort of fell/flapped her way down.
What a night! Hopefully it will get easier. I didn't know I was going to be such a nervous nellie.
wee.gif

Last edited:
Hi I was the same way for the first week, didn't get any sleep at night worrying about my babies. Slowly I've been getting more comfortable with them being out in the coop and run without me. I can even drive to town while they're in the run. Couldn't do that at first. They go in at night on they're own now which is cool. We'll grow as they grow. Today I will be covering the top of their run with hardware cloth. We have a pesky hawk flying about. Take Care and Good Luck

The first night my guys were out in the coop I had all of these nightmares about wild animals eating them, them getting loose, etc etc.

It has been 2 weeks (2 glorious weeks of not having to chase 12 chickens around at night and carry them up the hill to the garage) and I sleep like a baby now
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

that is so funny! its time, mommy, for them to leave the nest and sleep happily alone! hee hee hee

great job! i love that you went out with a flashlight.. not that i've ever done that!

:)

Back
Top Bottom